Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how many powerheads for a 55 gal tank?

I'm converting my 55 gal fw to sw. It currently runs a rio 1700 (about 400 gph) pump that runs from the wet/dry sump back into the tank. Do I need to add a powerhead as well for a fish only starter tank?

Thanks all.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
yeah,

You need to turn over between 10 to 20 times the amount of gallons your tank holds per hour. so you want probibly a couple of good sized maxijets in there as well.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It depends on whether you intend to have LR in the tank or not. If this is going to be a fish only tank, you don't have to have the extra flow. It may, however, help to discourage some types of nusiance algae/cyano from growing. If you are going to have LR in the tank, I would suggest 3 powerheads. One at each end and one on the back wall with its flow angled toward the front glass. I would go with either MJ1200's or MJ900's. JMHO.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do they each get their water supply from the same line in the sump? I.e. I would tee off of the return line to feed 2/3 powerheads?

Thanks again.
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Not really...the powerheads go in the main tank. They are small pumps that do nothing other than move water. You can attach them with suction cups or use the hangers that clip to the top of the tank. Putting them in the sump would severely reduce the flow they generated because they don't handle head pressure well. If you don't want PH's in the tank, you could use an external pump and set up a closed loop. Using a SQWD would give you some back and forth wave action.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks loganj. That makes better sense now.

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, powerheads, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com