Hurrican Rita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because the Mississippi is used for the rivers does not mean someone has to live there. This not only cost America billions of dollars every year live are lost in hte process of "oh i have to live by the sea and this is a great place to live". Well so is chicago but you dont see me risking my life every season.

Your statement is the most offensive text I have ever witnessed on this forum.

Your statement is the most offensive text I have ever witnessed on this forum.

Let's not turn this into a flame war that will end up with this thread being locked.

Thoughts and prayers are with all of you in the path of the storm. Stay safe andbest of luck to you and your families. :)

Just because the Mississippi is used for the rivers does not mean someone has to live there.

1) Mississippi is the river
2) The ports are on the river, people that work there will need to live close

This not only cost America billions of dollars every year live are lost in hte process of "oh i have to live by the sea and this is a great place to live".

How much damage do you think is done by tornadoes every year? How many lives lost? On average more life is lost to OTHER natural disasters than to hurricaines each year. This year may be different, but that is NOT the norm.

Well so is chicago but you dont see me risking my life every season.

I GUARANTEE you, your life is in MUCH more danger every year than mine is (and I'm a cop) simply cause you ive where you do and I live where I do (a place often referred to as hurricaine alley). We may have hurricaines, but hell, you got WAY to many people in WAY to small an area for them and I'll take my chances with the hurricaines any day over people.

By your logic, no one should live in california (fires, mudslides, earthquakes)
The mid west (tornadoes)
The Norther US (Blizzards) Of Course the Gulf states...Hurricaines

I guess we're all packing up and moving to chicago, lay out a palette for us./

Why is it so hard for people to see what I am trying to get across. I personally do not put my self in any danger nor my family. As to say that I am in more danger than you are is simple ignorance for you do not know where i live nor do you know of my surroundings. Matter a fact I live in a very safe area and has not had any damage due to nature beside my fryed grass from not having or the lack there of water(rain). Now as for anyone that lives in the southern Gulf/Florida area they are constantly being riddled by hurricanes/Tropical storms you name it.

My big problem is clearly not being understood. Every year due to FEMA, Red Cross, the Goverment and more we the American people including your self are forced to pay more and more for Gas, fuel and taxes due to issues as this. They constantly pour more and more money into rebuilding these area that are to be destroyed again and again. I have never seen or heard the goverment give money to some lady down the street when a tornado pushed over a tree on her car. Now i know that when the Chicago fire happened the goverment did not spare a dime, but sink a party town and watch the money come in. This is what is bothering me. Just my opinoun and that is what matters.

Now as far as compassion goes how can you feel sorry for someone that puts there own life at risk unless it is to protect you such as our Officer above. Do you fell sorry for drug addicts trying to sell drug to your kids no i don't think so. You want them dead. So don' be asking for compassion when they are putting their own lives and others at risk.

As to say that I am in more danger than you are is simple ignorance for you do not know where i live nor do you know of my surroundings.

Do you know what the murder rate is in Chicago? How many fatal accidents you have per day per capita? I do, for my city at least...it's 0 on both counts or very close. That means you are in more danger where you live than I am where I live.

My big problem is clearly not being understood.

No your problem is not understanding. You have no idea why people live where they live. The VAST majority of people that dies from Katrina, could not leave, they did not have the means. They did not have the means to choose where they live.

Now, you've said your peace...leave it alone and move on.

My opinion is important too: I would like to see this user banned from the site.

I do NOT compare anyone wanting beach front property (like myself) with drug dealers. And though I AM concerned with gas going up, all it's really going to do to me is kill one Latte a week from Starbucks. It's not going to destroy my home . . .

On another note to the Officer: I work in the news (NBC) and I have to say one of the best stories I did let me ride around with a DUI Officer for the evening!

Cops are cool! :mrgreen:

I believe the clock is ticking....

To all in the path of natural disaster, my menagerie and I send furry, feathered, scaley and/or shelled prayers that all is well tonight.

let's redirect this back On topic please. This isn't a geography/economics forum.

pelochas: since you have no fish or much other macro life in your tank yet your in a pretty good position. With no fish or other major life in the tank you shouldn't have to worry about a quick build up of ammonia or lack of oxygen (from lack of water movement when the power goes out)

My suggestions (i've never had to go through anything like this so pardon my ignorance) I would do what you can and make a good chunk of RO water and maybe even some new salt water so you have some on hand in case you also lose water services. An added bonus will be the RO water can be drank if it comes to that.

If the power ends up going out, watch the temperature and do what you can to occasionaly stir the water, even siphon out a bucket full, pour it back and forth into another bucket once or twice, then return to the tank. This will help keep the water oxygenated. Of course... with no fish this would be a minor concern IMO.

Good luck, and just remember that you and your family are more important than any job.

God Bless and stay safe. I see the reports coming in of people stuck on the interstates and highways for hours and hours only to move several miles. It really makes me wonder when these evacuations are planned are they really thought out on a widescale ... as in 1.8 million people trying to leave all at once!

I will keep my prayers with all of these people and hope that everything turns out for the best! Just know that WE will rebuild ... as an American who believes in the power of GOD things will be better and I am prepared to adjust my budget to help rebuild these historical areas of our country. High Gas prices, taxes, donations WHATEVER it takes!

90_berlin_joe .... Please try and understand for the most part people live where they live based on economical reasons i.e. Jobs and cost of living and then following that is many different reasons i.e. Family ties, historical value and down right personal attraction. No one moves to these areas going "Hmm I think I'll move to N'Awlins or Galveston for the hopes of getting a Cat. 5 Hurricane to wash away everything I own and in return to get a $2000 debit card from the government!"
It saddens me to see the lack of consideration during a very trying time for your fellow Americans, actually it's rediculous and should have been kept to yourself.
:evil:

Just my $.02cents

PBirdsong want me banned for voicing my opinion, where do you think you live for i have not violated any forum rules, you can not stop freedom of the press.

As for those who choose to live in these area, my heart goes out to you and the choices that you make in your life. Just remember the choices you make might not always be the right one, and they always can be changed.

90_berlin_joe said:
PBirdsong want me banned for voicing my opinion, where do you think you live for i have not violated any forum rules, you can not stop freedom of the press.

Oh I know. It was just MY opinion.

IN other news :roll:

Looks like the coastal areas are starting to see some action. We're praying for you guys.

Actually, we can stop you from voicing your opinion. This board is not a democracy.There is no "freedom of speech", there are only the rules. The UA states you can not post offensive content. You have offended many of us. I am locking this thread now. If you start another one to discuss this, it will result in more severe action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom