Hurrican Rita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelochas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hurrican Rita is approaching my coast! Windows are to be boarded. My house is in the Category 4 Evacuation Zone. Im leaving but sinceim a "essential employee" i have to man the fort at our Univision Radio station studios. Family is off to a big hotel up north. Kind of glad that i have no fish in my new tank yet. How will the live rock do with a few days of no power or light? Wish me luck! :D

you will have a little die off, but nothing that cannot be overcome. Stay safe.

I agree, to put your mind at ease, most liverock sits on docks for days in the sun while in transit from the ocean to your LFS and plenty of goodies survive. Look out for yourself and the tank will be fine when you get home.

When Ivan got us a year ago, it was the Temp that did most of the damage. Lost all but One fish, and we were not able to get back in to my place at Orange Beach for 6 days. Then 3 weeks before power was back on. Good luck and God Bless you all in the days to come.

thanks for the support. this hurrican is a monster. 3rd largest in US history. Katrina has nothing to Rita. i assume that it will get larger and stronger. My house is located on the edge of the 100 yr Flood zone and in the Cat 4 -5 evacuation zone. Gotta get out by 6 AM. got a hotel room thursday thru sunday. the house is boarded up. its all i can do. :(

pelochas said:
thanks for the support. this hurrican is a monster. 3rd largest in US history. Katrina has nothing to Rita. i assume that it will get larger and stronger. My house is located on the edge of the 100 yr Flood zone and in the Cat 4 -5 evacuation zone. Gotta get out by 6 AM. got a hotel room thursday thru sunday. the house is boarded up. its all i can do. :(

I wish you the best. Take care of yourself and i hope your house makes it.

"Hurricane Rita's rapid intensification cycle that began Tuesday afternoon continues. Top winds are up to 175 mph, now a category 5 hurricane. Rita's pressure has dramatically dropped to 897 millibars! Even as a large and extremely intense category 5 hurricane, further strengthening is possible as the atmosphere remains favorable for development over the next 24 hours. "

-weather.com

pelochas said:

I do wish you and everyone where Rita hits, good luck

I'd never compair storms.. unless they hit the same areas....

They compaired Ivan to Katrina, many people are on both sides of the fence... and over all most believe Ivan was worse... it was just the area hit... Orange Beach to Pensacola was not under sea level, but still managed to get the 25+ storm surge and the 20-30 foot waves.

Katrina's rain finally put enough strain on the levee's that broke them... and then flooded the city... *sad to say everyone was waiting for this*

And now Rita and Texas.... looks like the carrabean is seeing you their special marga'rita'

But seriously... good luck and stay safe... get some extra gas, water, and caned goods....

she has lost some strength, let's pray that trend continues...public advisory 20a says maximum sustained winds of 150, now a cat4

chances are, after the hurricane you will not have communication for a few days, so make sure you have some sort of way to relay information to anyone you need to.

Explain to me why people live in such areas that are know through out history to be deadly and unsafe. Is it the price, the scenery, the thrill or just to unfortunate to realize the danger of these areas? It amazes me that so many people year after year rebuild what has been torn down by Mother Nature’s wrath to only have it knocked down again repeatedly. Can’t they take a hint when it is right there in your face clear as day? Is there not a point that these people realize that this is not where we should be living and move to higher ground?

The power of nature will concur every time no mater what levee, dam, bridge or break wall is built. “WE” are just a pawn in this cruel game and too many people think they can win.

you missed the frozen lands, and their blizzards, the heat in the deserts and the earth quake ridden states to the west, and the tornadoes in the midwest...

where do you want to go?

Besides... New Orleans is a very important city, as it sits at the mississippi rivers delta... and has controlled cargo in the past. The mississippi river carries an unprecedented amount of economic cargo each day that we use on daily basis.

:lol:

Every place on Earth has some type of natural disaster. I'd rather live in Florida with the hurricanes rather than somewhere like California(earthquakes) or Kansas(tornadoes)

Just because the Mississippi is used for the rivers does not mean someone has to live there. This not only cost America billions of dollars every year live are lost in hte process of "oh i have to live by the sea and this is a great place to live". Well so is chicago but you dont see me risking my life every season.

Start using our heads here and stop rebuilding in these areas that are just going to be knocked down next month in this case next week.

This is not the place, nor the time to start criticizing people for where they live. Please try to be a little more compassionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom