I am over Tanked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
The last episode of Tanked put me over the top. I'm sure the folks at ATM are really nice but, this show is a bad example for our hobby. They use fish like glitter on a birthday card. Their theme tanks, especially the outdoor ones are nothing but fish killers IMO. Many look impossible to maintain properly. Wish there was a serious show about the hobby, this is as serious about aquariums as American Chopper was about motorcycles.

Living Color (Fish Tank Kings) on NG channel are just as bad. Their baseball back stop tank was a joke.

Last edited:
"But they do it on Tanked, and they're on TV".

Everybody in the aquarium industry should blacklist those clowns.

Hey now. American Chopper was serious about motorcycles......as long as you only wanted to look at them, not ride them. :)

I agree. I stopped watching it after a few episodes not only because of what you mentioned above, but just the sheer ridiculous writing/acting on it.

I also have wondered how they instantly add all the fish at the same time with no cycle.. I read one time that they use bottled bacteria or some kind of jump start stuff, but I just can't see anything like that working for such a large number of fish.

I believe nat geo channel had a show called fish tank kings.. I only saw the first couple of episodes, but it seemed a little bit more of a 'serious' show than tanked.

Fish tank kings seems serious because of their biologist person but they have no clue what they are doing when they actually stock the tank.

Fish tank kings seems serious because of their biologist person but they have no clue what they are doing when they actually stock the tank.

I thought that guy was annoying. Like I said I only saw the first episode or two, and seemed that way.. They still had written in drama though.. That is what makes shows like them impossible for me to watch

Francis, their biologist, is quite smart. But they constantly abuse him on the show and seem uninterested in his opinions. I would prefer a show with just Francis. Both shows concentrate on selling rubber corals. Uuggh.

Francis, their biologist, is quite smart. But they constantly abuse him on the show and seem uninterested in his opinions. I would prefer a show with just Francis. Both shows concentrate on selling rubber corals. Uuggh.

Me too. I wish they would listen to him.

Yeah I was watching tanked with my parents the othernight and told them how stupid those guys were to add all of the fish at the same time but my mom said that they know what they are doing even though they obviously don't.arghhh.:banghead: that show is stupid and all of those poor fish prolly don't last a week in those horribly over stocked tanks...:(

Yeah I was watching tanked with my parents the othernight and told them how stupid those guys were to add all of the fish at the same time but my mom said that they know what they are doing even though they obviously don't.arghhh.:banghead: that show is stupid and all of those poor fish prolly don't last a week in those horribly over stocked tanks...:(

In this case, you're right IMO. Parents are usually right, but every now and then...(I am a parent).

They are using a "natural sea water" and adding a bottle of bacteria. That doesn't constitute a cycle and I should think that their fish losses would be extreme. Several posters on this forum live in Vegas and have reported mixed results with ATM installs.

Fish tank kings I like better as well. There's supposed to be a new season coming up shortly. I do wish there was a show that did actual corals instead of the tuner ones like mentioned above not very interesting.

If no talent hacks like the Kardashians can get rich shaking their butts, there is a place for the guys at "Tanked".

Most of their creations end up on Ebay. If I had one wish for the show, it would be that they were forced to show a fast forward 6 months to see how the fish were, ehhem, doing.

One thing that does get in my crawl and rubs salt in the wound is their bottle-o-insta cycle that I see advertised in TFH. They look like real dip shi+s standing there with a thumbs up as if to say ".....and you can too".

Wayde says, “We make sure any of the fish that we’re going to get are eating and are in good shape and condition. Reality TV is reality TV; most of the time everything looks like it’s done overnight. We don’t want people to think that it’s being done overnight—people need to understand that all the builds and everything that we do, they don’t happen instantaneously; it takes time. We do whatever we can to ensure the proper environment for the fish, whether it be food, feeding, so forth and so on.” I get what u guys are saying but I also think the editing process doesn't let us see everything. I seriously doubt that if all of their tanks crashed and all the fish died they would still be in business. It's a tv show and its meant to entertain. And they run a business and the client is gonna want what they want. And some of those tanks are ridiculous I agree. The outside vineyard tank comes to mind. But I take it for what it is just like Duck Dynasty.

It was the outside gum ball tank, the skateboard tank and the vineyard tank was the last straw. I don't think fish are ornaments. But that's the diver in me talking. I am impressed by their acrylic work with out doubt. I just don't like the casual way they make the long term care and success of the aquarium. You get the impression that the customer will keep the tank till the $10,000 in fish all die, then scrap it and put in a new cool thing.

I watch and wonder, how would you possibly clean that thing?

Yea the making of the tanks not over night most o the time they even say two week deadlines but you can't argue them throwing in the sand and cycling isn't within the hours that they set up the tank... They even show it .. They set up tank fill it up and throw in fish because the customers wants to see

I have an uncle that in the fish whole sale buisness and he says that there not even from new york and that there accents are fake also that theyve only been in the fish game for like 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom