increased lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have 3 110 watt VHO's over my 55, should I add a fourth? I mostly have soft corals but I want a few hard corals in the future.

The lighting you have should be fine for most softies, poyps, zoos and LPS corals.

IMO, I think with that light you could do some sps corals. Things like porites, monti's, chalice and scoll coals to name a few.
I have had good luck with yellow and brown porites in my 55g, under pc lights (4x65w). As I understand it though, sps don't do as well in tanks with soft corals. My personal experience to that is that it's true. I had to move my sps away from my leathers when I noticed them doing poorly and they improved once moved. I also run activated carbon once a month. Just some thoughts. HTH

As I understand it though, sps don't do as well in tanks with soft corals. My personal experience to that is that it's true. I had to move my sps away from my leathers when I noticed them doing poorly and they improved once moved.

Is it the chemicals that are released from softies that stress SPS?

FishFrik said:
Is it the chemicals that are released from softies that stress SPS?

As I understand it, yes. Running some activated carbon can help but space is important. SPS really do better in an SPS only tank. I run AC for a week every month and it's been working for me. I believe acros are less tolerant. Porites are a pretty hardy sps. HTH

so are you saying you think I can get away with the lighting I have to add some porites and montiporas? or should add another bulb? I already have enough power out of my ice cap 440 just need the endcaps, I even have reflector space. The carbon is a good idea, I don't seem to have any nasty leathers but who knows, sometimes things just don't mix. Thanks.

It sounds like your setup is easily upgradeable and your options for SPS could be improved with the extra bulb. but you might have to give your lower light needing critters some shade if you up the lighting, 440 VHO over a 55 is quite a bit for softies depending on wich ones. If you deside to upgrade just keep an eye on them.

yeah, I'd probably get another 50/50 bulb if I decide to add one, I'm going to give it a shot with the lighting I have in hopes that I don't burn up my softies at the same time.

My in my opinion, people tend to overlight thier tanks. I think you could try some porites and monti's with what you have. I'd only upgrade if you intend to do acros but then, I also wouldn't add acros to a mixed tank but that's just me. :)

Back
Top Bottom