Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

increased lighting.

Right now I have 3 110 watt VHO's over my 55, should I add a fourth? I mostly have soft corals but I want a few hard corals in the future.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lighting you have should be fine for most softies, poyps, zoos and LPS corals.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, I think with that light you could do some sps corals. Things like porites, monti's, chalice and scoll coals to name a few.
I have had good luck with yellow and brown porites in my 55g, under pc lights (4x65w). As I understand it though, sps don't do as well in tanks with soft corals. My personal experience to that is that it's true. I had to move my sps away from my leathers when I noticed them doing poorly and they improved once moved. I also run activated carbon once a month. Just some thoughts. HTH
Old 07-20-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Quote:
As I understand it though, sps don't do as well in tanks with soft corals. My personal experience to that is that it's true. I had to move my sps away from my leathers when I noticed them doing poorly and they improved once moved.
Is it the chemicals that are released from softies that stress SPS?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFrik
Is it the chemicals that are released from softies that stress SPS?
As I understand it, yes. Running some activated carbon can help but space is important. SPS really do better in an SPS only tank. I run AC for a week every month and it's been working for me. I believe acros are less tolerant. Porites are a pretty hardy sps. HTH
Old 07-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

so are you saying you think I can get away with the lighting I have to add some porites and montiporas? or should add another bulb? I already have enough power out of my ice cap 440 just need the endcaps, I even have reflector space. The carbon is a good idea, I don't seem to have any nasty leathers but who knows, sometimes things just don't mix. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
It sounds like your setup is easily upgradeable and your options for SPS could be improved with the extra bulb. but you might have to give your lower light needing critters some shade if you up the lighting, 440 VHO over a 55 is quite a bit for softies depending on wich ones. If you deside to upgrade just keep an eye on them.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah, I'd probably get another 50/50 bulb if I decide to add one, I'm going to give it a shot with the lighting I have in hopes that I don't burn up my softies at the same time.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My in my opinion, people tend to overlight thier tanks. I think you could try some porites and monti's with what you have. I'd only upgrade if you intend to do acros but then, I also wouldn't add acros to a mixed tank but that's just me.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't either. they are just too sensative.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com