Lawnmower Blenny - color change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stoffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is the lawnmower blenny known to change color to adapt to it's environment? Because the tail of mine is turning the color of the maroon patches of my liverock...or at least I think it is...

I am not positive but, I have noticed the same thing with my blenny. I go back and forth on thinking I'm seeing things to believing he does change color. I have also noticed that when i upset him by rearranging rock ect.. He seems to get darker. Hope someone has a more definite answer ! I'd love to know too! :)

It's not even a full color change, but spots on his the tail end of his body seem to be the color of parts of my live rock.

That is precisly what is happening with mine. Before I got all my live rock in the tank he appered to be much lighter and no trace of purple. Now his tail end including the very back part of his sail fin looks to have a purplish tinge and he stays darker overall. After reading your post I inspected my Blennie again and now i am conviced its true. Did a little research and didnt turn anything up but now its a mystery I'd love to have the answer too. Perhaps it has something to do with him eating (now thats its avalible, due to the addition of live rock) coraline algea. You are what you eat right? But your definitly not alone in suspecting that your Blennie is changing its colors. Will keep reseaching and will post if i turn up something of interest.

Mine changes color fairly often and he can change very quickly too. He can go from very dark, almost black to being a very light color that you think you could see through. Lately he's been building a cave under a ledge he found beneath a piece of LR. Best part is that it's right in the front center of the tank so I get to watch him! It's pretty funny to watch him carry things from one end of the tank over to his cave.

I finally found a answer ! Through reseach I discovered that we are not seeing things Yeah!.. here it is :
All fish can alter their colors to some extent, although most aren't cameleons some, like a couple of the flat fish have an uncanny ability to match their surroundings. Most others instead have what's known as a night/fright pattern, typically something that offers an additional amount of protection in the dark - like extra eye spots, etc. On the flip side, and in captivity it is not uncommon for a fish to fade its colors, many times due to nutritional defficiencies. What could happen in this case is a combination of factors - perhaps a response to environment such as the coraline algea, perhaps also a response to being fat and happy,as mine definitly is.
All in all nothing to worry about what-so-ever! Just enjoy it is the verdict!

Back
Top Bottom