levels of ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A regular tap water filter ( like a brita filter) isnt designed to bring tap water TDS ( total dissolved solids) to 0. A rodi unit will not only bring your tds to zero (100% pure water) but will also de-ionize it) www.bulkreefsupply.com has several models of ro/ rodi units and they are decently priced. Id recommend the 4-stage value plus model, not only do you get the dual-inline TDS meter, but you get a pressure gauge,membrane flush kit, and auto shutoff valve built in already.

Thank you

I have a fluval canister filter 06 series for my 30 gallon saltwater tank..what's the best way i can go about cleaning it out and how often withouth causing damage to my fish and corals? Thx

I am not a big fan of canisters on a salt tank but I know a lot of people use them with success. You would be needing to clean it regularly, at least once a week. They can hold nitrates if not properly maintained. They aren't as effective as they are on freshwater tanks as all the beneficial bacteria in a salt tank live in your rocks and sand, so I have never quite understood how a canister is helpful, unless for water movement? It will not harm your tank to clean it often...

My sand has been turning brown is that something i should be worrying about? Its been cycling now for almost a month and all i have in there are some reef rocks , blue snowflake polyps ,two blue leg hermit crabs, about 4 little clean up crew crabs ,a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded..im planning on throwing some clownfish now on the 27th and i dont want to have any problems..anyone has any advice? Thx

upload a picture. id say diatoms but its hard to say without actual photos to look at. both diatoms and cyanobacteria are both common phases of tanks. there are steps you can take to reduce the spread of it, but they usually will burn themselves out after a lil while. what id be doing at this point is testing daily (seriously, test every day) and record your tests. its hard to pick out a set day to add the first fish when you don't truly know whats happening in terms of cycling. also having just inverts and corals in a tank wont cycle it.

Hi? Iike ive mentenioned before i have a fluval canister filter in my reef aquarium that i jus started about a month ago..but im looking into installing a CPR aquafuge hang on refugium on the back of my 30 gallon can anyone tell me if thats a good move, will it make my tank better all around instead of the canister? Plz help

refugiums offer a form of nitrate removal, canisters don't. so id get the hob refugium on and running, and after several months take the canister off. only thing is the canister filter offer mechanical filtration, so you may want to make sure you have something else to pick up the slack in that regard

refugiums offer a form of nitrate removal, canisters don't. so id get the hob refugium on and running, and after several months take the canister off. only thing is the canister filter offer mechanical filtration, so you may want to make sure you have something else to pick up the slack in that regard

Thx for the advice i spoke to some experts at marine depot over the phone and they gave me a few ideas that i actually felt comfortabble with..i ordered an AQUAMAXX HOB-1 protein skimmer..i learned that the seaclone 100 will neva do the job for me..so i am going to install that see how that goes with my regular maintenance that ive actually been on top of..i did a few water changes already and my nitrates levels are down to 5ppm so i feel good about that..all my otter parameters are great also..so i am going o stick with it unless i see something different..im not lazy and i actually love payin alot of attention to my tank so i doubt ill have any problems..i jus have another question..i have a sand sither "yellow head goby" really cute what can i feed that guy and how often?

Back
Top Bottom