Lighting intensity question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Probably a dumb question, though not new to SW aquaria, I am new to the reef scene ( getting lights in a week or so!)

When doing a bit of research for my first corals, I was starting out with fantasyreef's database, which is very helpful.. but I did have a question. What general wattage ( or range) is used for low light, medium, and high intensity? like for example 100-200 watt = low? etc. This just helps me so when doing research when all it says is ' medium intensity' to know if it will live well under my new lights (492 watt).

Even though I was told most things could live under this, I dont want to mistakingly get something that needs say, 700 watts or so LOL

Most of your low light corals would be on the bottom of your Tank. Your mid level corals meaning medium lighting would be in the middle of your Tank and so fourth with your High light corals on top. But seeing that your getting a High powered lighting system it kind of hard to tell how much lighting would be recommended with low light corals... 100-200 watts is hard to determine all just depends on where they are place in your aquarium. IMO all low light corals should be on the bottom as well as some medium corals.... Hope this helps.... :)

Forget about wattage and think more about type of lighting, ie normal output fluorescent, compact fluorescent, VHO, T5HO and metal halide. You can't compare a 175w mh bulb with 4x40w=160w normal output fluorescent, even tho they are almost the same wattage.
A general guideline would be normal output fluorescent/compact fluorescent for lower light soft corals like mushrooms and polyps, compact fluorescent/VHO for med light soft coral/LPS coral and T5HO/MH for med to high light corals like LSP/SPS or clams.

No problem I'll probably start having some of the same questions 2. Wednesday is the day I will purchase my Nova Extreme Pro. Then I will be getting coral later. I am just preparing all my water parameters before hand.

Forget about wattage and think more about type of lighting, ie normal output fluorescent, compact fluorescent, VHO, T5HO and metal halide. You can't compare a 175w mh bulb with 4x40w=160w normal output fluorescent, even tho they are almost the same wattage.
A general guideline would be normal output fluorescent/compact fluorescent for lower light soft corals like mushrooms and polyps, compact fluorescent/VHO for med light soft coral/LPS coral and T5HO/MH for med to high light corals like LSP/SPS or clams.

I like that Larry. Good estimation.

You should be fine with that fixture to house lower light, medium light and high light corals. You just have to place the corals higher or lower in the tank depending on their light requirements.

Back
Top Bottom