lighting question for anenome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatr_head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My current lighting is as follows;110 watt Power Compact florescent lighting with 50-50 bulbs; which isn't strong enough for anenomes, correct ? but my false Percula clown is swimming around like he wants to host one and I feel sad that I'm not providing it ....bad caretaker, bad....

Instead of upgrading my lighting to something more powerful and permanent, is there a light that I can mount either on the wall on the side of the tank to supplement the existing lighting and provide enough energy for an anemome to survive and make my clown happy?

Or should I just plan on upgrading my lighting altogether? If so, to what kind and how much?- that tank itself is a 46gal bow front.

Thanks.

what kind of anenome? been reading you can direct feed and the lighting would not be as neccesary, but may want to upgrade...what about a pendant MH?

doug

I don't know what kind of anemome yet, any suggestions? His behavior is new within the last 2 days so now I'm considering it.
As for the lighting - I just assumed that I couldn't have anenomes because of my current lighting, but if I can target feed the anemome w/out upgrading my lighting (for now) I'm all for that.
Can anyone else verify that target feeding an anenome is possible with my current lighting is possible? - No offense Doug - Thanks for the idea....

Brian

my false Percula clown is swimming around like he wants to host one
What is it doing? Clowns do not need a host anemone in an aquarium, however, many will still minic this behavior by adopting certain corals and even tank equipment as a host. Keep in mind that there is no way to predict if your clown will pair with an anemone, it may or it may not. IMO, I would make sure you have the proper lighting and set up before adding an anemone.

I personally wouldn't rely on it long term. They are more beautiful when properly lit as well as easier to care for. Feeding them is a great supplement if you don't have enough light (according to that thread that Doug referenced) but even Dr. Ron doesn't RECOMMEND not lighting them properly, he just said that they could "survive". I think his point was more that they NEEDED to be fed for their long term survival than that poor lighting was acceptable.

As much as I want one I'm waiting until my MHs are installed (we need to build a new canopy first) and I already have the upgraded lighting. I don't really think it is fair to make an animal sub-sist to suit ourselves. But that's just one persons humble opinion :D

lando said:
my false Percula clown is swimming around like he wants to host one
"What is it doing? Clowns do not need a host anemone in an aquarium, however, many will still minic this behavior by adopting certain corals and even tank equipment as a host. "

He's swimming around a rock or two in tight little circles - kinda like a dog when he wants to lie down on it's bed; walks in cirlces and turns around for 5 minutes before plopping down for the night.

I just don't want to give him a complex or something.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom