Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Longnose Hawkfish?

Does anyone have one of these guys? I really like them, and might consider one, but just not sure if it would work with my setup or not. Everything Ive read says they need 30 gallons or more, and are somewhat reef safe. I guess my biggest concern is that they eat small fish/shrimp. How small are we talking?
I have a full size fire shrimp in my tank, 2 occ clowns and a tail spot blenny. If I get a juvenile, would it work, or do you think it would end up trying to eat my shrimp? I have no other shrimp in the tank, and am not planning on adding any other shrimp or tiny fish.
My tank is 38 gallons, but some of that is the back chamber (IM nuvo 38) so in reality, its probably closer to 30 or so gallons.

What did the fish say when he swam into a wall? "Dam!"
Kimlafeiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
They're are really cool fish I had one in a 15 gallon for 5 months with clowns and shrimp (no problems) just they do jump that's how mine died.. They are awesome fish and are really social. I walk up to the tank and he'd swim right up too me. I've never had any problems with him and coral either

Fish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
They can be hard on small shrimp and as mentioned most die from jumping. You need a super tight top as they are very accurate jumpers and can get thru a hole that is barely bigger than them. Other than that, they are a favorite of mine.
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We really enjoy ours. I suspect he is responsible for the disappearance of some of my smaller peppermints but my bigger shrimp have been fine. I do try to keep him fed though.
trnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
As far as the jumping they make a clear nylon netting that can go over the top of the tank.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

fish, long, nose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com