Lots of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjboer7

Aquarium Advice Activist
What can I do to get this tank clean

Attachments

• image-2110331594.jpg
    image-2110331594.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 167
  • image-2075123458.jpg
    image-2075123458.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 146
  • image-3430569750.jpg
    image-3430569750.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 150
Some of that is coraline on the glass and do you have a CUC?

The coraline on the tank I'm not to worried about its all the algae and I'm not sure what cuc is

Clean up crew snails hermits shrimp something to eat the algae. I reccomend from personal experience to cut back feeding to a few times a week and cut lighting done substantionaly if you have no coral you can just leave it off. Adding a CUC and cutting feeding and lights you should kick the algae in the butt.

A clean up crew will help remove algae from your aquarium, but I personally would try and figure out the source. Check your water parameters and see if somethings amiss. IME some sort of clean up crew will be a sort term answer.

how long has it been since you replaced teh bulbs? I had the same green algae. I pulled some of the rock out and scrubbed it off with a tooth brush in a bucket of tank water from a water change. I also was changing my bulbs out. It was gone after that. My bulbs were 13 months old.

The algae is from overfeeding and not doing enough to remove what you are putting in. Everything you put in the tank must be removed by you. Think about it- it's a closed system. There is no where for the food you are putting in to go. Just because the food disappears, doesn't mean it's gone. Crabs and snails aren't going to solve the problem.
How often and how much are you feeding?
How often and how large are the water changes?
What other filtration are you using besides the rock?

To answer HOW to get rid of the algae..

it looks to be hair algae, in my experience this is very hard to get rid of but It's not impossible. Cut back on lights, do water changes regularly, test your RO water for phosphates, and cut back on feeding. Try pulling out heavily infested rock and clean off as much algae as possible with a brush. Make sure you rinse the rock before you replace it in the tank. This can help dramatically but not a guarantee to cure the problem. Clean up crew such as snails and crabs will do nothing for your problem. I had a bad algae problem 5 years ago with hair algae. I ended up taking all my rock out and scrubbing the heck out of them. Replaced the rock and did a 50% water change. This is hard on your tank but if desperate measures call for it, it works. Luck for you, it doesn't look like you have a lot of live stock. Were do you get your water? And have you tested your tanks parameters ?

I know when I had GHA two different things worked the best for me. The first was getting a phosban reactor and using either phosguard or phosban to absorb and reduce the level of phosphate in the water. My preference, the phosguard seemed to work better for my tank. The other method, which people sometimes disagree with, is to use marine algaefix from API. If you use this, be sure to follow the directions to the letter. Like I said, some people don't like using this method because your putting chemicals into the water but again, it worked great for my tank and wouldn't hesitate using it again if needed. I never had any damage to the fish or coral from either method. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the phosban reactor. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom