LOW PH even with C02 reactor + high Alkalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doughboydj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could give some advice. I've got a 110gallon SW reef w/ a mud system, and a koraline c02 reactor. I've had the reactor for about 2months now and I cant seem to get my PH up past 7.99, and at night its drops to 7.85. My temp is at 77-79 all the time and my Calcium level 500ppm, Alkalinity level 16dKH, Salt level .023, bubbles in the reactor are at 1/sec and the drip is at 50/min. I use a Salifert test kit for all my parameters except for the PH I use a monitor(which is calibrated fine). I've also done several water changes to lower the ALK and it works for alittle while but then it goes back up.

Supplements used:
Tech I
Reef Solution

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Sounds like your reactor is outperforming the tanks need for it. Not sure if you can reduce the bubble rate further but you either need to get the amount of effluent entering the tank reduced or shut off the reactor until you get more scleractinians to help deposit more CaCO3.

Your high alk is the cause of your poor pH. Once/if you get the reactor dialed in slowly enough it will help. If not shut it off. For now though I would do several water changes with well aged/aerated SW to "repair" the chemistry. Once closer to NSW values, the pH should fall into line providing you have proper aeration.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I'll do some water changes and lower the reactor some more. I'll also add some more stony corals :D Thanks for the tips

Back
Top Bottom