Manderin in 30 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm contemplating placing a maderin in a 30 gallon FOWLF tank. Just the maderin. Thoughts and experience would be appreciated, before I decide to commit. Like feeding costs, etc. I will be using a regular light with a HOB filter, with a very small power head, just to keep things from settling. I'm not sure about raising pods and what not. I love the fish, but I also know there's a level if commitment that goes with a fish like this. I want to make sure I can make the commitment based on your experiences. Thanks

From what I've read they are extremely difficult to keep. Do you have a refugium or something to grow pods? I thought about getting one and decided not to because of the amount of work just to keep up with him.

It's a bit small for a manderin. I would want to make ABSOLUTELY certain that it is eating frozen food or you can pretty much wave good bye to it. You COULD start a copepod culture though. They aren't terribly difficult to do and would allow you to easily keep a mandarin.

Not to down the idea but a tank with just a mandarin would be quite boring. My friend has one in a 29 that eats frozen and I never see it when I go over.

Yeah, they do hide a lot. If you do see them they are really cool fish though.

Yes I completely agree but why not add like a pair of clowns so there will be movement or you could just do the mandarin and search for him lol

Sorry guys. I forget to tell you all, I already have a 120 with a mated pair of clowns, a red spotted hawk fish, a blue regal tang, a royal gramma an engineer goby and an algae blenny. I also have an empty 55 but I want to convert my 29 fresh into a bedroom salt tank.

Hence, the maderin idea.

I have a female in my 29 gallon biocube and she's just fine, but I added pods for months before I got one . I do agree on the having somthing else because they do hide a lot!

Back
Top Bottom