Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did thank you.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

The clown I have is still relatively small and has always been housed by itself. So does that mean its still a male or no way to determine?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDshoes
The clown I have is still relatively small and has always been housed by itself. So does that mean its still a male or no way to determine?
If it has been housed on its own for any length of time it is more than likely female. If yours still is not that big then it's difficult to tell which is even more reason to put a small one in. It covers both bases then.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

K thank you very much.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

He has not been aggressive to anything in my tank and surprisingly doesn't really have a spot or side he kinda roams the whole tank. So hopefully it will be relatively peacefull when I try.

How much smaller should I try mine is prb 1.75 in?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

My maroon was never aggressive to anyone but whenever I tried to pair it, it killed the smaller maroon. I finally just gave up. To have the best chance, and really the only chance of it pairing, is to put a smaller one, the smallest you can find. A female clown can never turn back into male so it's best to get something smaller since your clown is probably a female because it's been housed alone.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys gonna try. Do you think letting the new sit in the breeder box in the tank maybe help? I've read it may? If so how long week two weeks?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDshoes
Thanks guys gonna try. Do you think letting the new sit in the breeder box in the tank maybe help? I've read it may? If so how long week two weeks?
Yes this is a good tactic and will almost definitely help. 24hrs should be more than enough for them to introduce themselves to one another without stressing the new clown too much in a small environment. Be prepared for this not to work out though. The Maroon is the most aggressive of all clowns and while the success rate of pairing normal clowns is pretty high this is not the case for maroons. That's not too say I would not try it. When it works it's great. There will be a bit of fighting and this is normal. The difficult part is determining when the little guy has had too much. It may be you ask the shop where your getting it if they are prepared to take him back if it does not work out. Even better would be to swap him and try a few different ones. Make sure he don't get too beat up tho!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Once I catch this stupid damsel I will get it and see how it goes thank you guys much! I will keep u posted.

Side note it took me 30 min to catch the first one and working 5 days for the other *slap to face*
Old 01-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok a little update on this. I have tried pairing the clown I found abt .75-1 inch let him sit in a breeders basket for abt 18-20 hrs let him into the tank tree was instant fighting. Of course this was expected but I let him sit in the tank for almost 2 days. After that he was pretty beat up so I was able to catch him and he is in my fuge living in a little condy I have down there. Eating well and fins are starting to grow back.

Do you guys think instead just trying again when he heals up I should maybe catch the bigger existing one and put her in the fuge and put the little guy and his nem in the tank them re-introduce the other after about a week? Just a thought let me know what anyone thinks.

Thank you!

Tags
clown, maroon clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com