Mechanical Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 10g fowlr and as I read more and more, it sounds like filters are more trouble than good. I'm looking at getting a tetra ex20 filter and just putting some lr rubble in along with carbon and purigen. Do you think this would be beneficial? Thanks

Filters are much more good then bad. They are what makes the tank run, due to their housing of benifishel bacteria. If you haven't read up on the nitrogen cycle please do so before you set up this tank :). Tetra's power filters are great! I use them on all four of my tanks. Also the ex20 would 've great amount of flow for a 10 gal.
~Zac

Tetra's power filters also have a designated area for beneifical bacteria to grow

Yes I know all about the nitrogen cycle. I have this filter on my two freshwater tanks. It's just I have been reading they can cause too many nitrates in a saltwater tank.

If you are worried about nitrates then I would suggest going for a canister filter, if you can afford one of course. They can't compare to power filters from a, biological stand point.
~Zac
Sorry for my confusion

It's alright. I think I am going to go with putting in seachem matrix and purigen and then maybe some live rock rubble. Does anyone know if I can just use dry LR for this?

You definitely could, all it needs to be able to do is grow benifinal bacterial and rubble offers great surface area for that to happen. Good luck!
~Zac

All rock will become live over time. That is why you cycle your tank so there is enough of a bacteria population for the nitrate cycle.
If you follow the pound per gallon rule, you shouldn't need any additional rock in a filter as that will be more than enough to support a properly stocked tank.

All rock will become live over time. That is why you cycle your tank so there is enough of a bacteria population for the nitrate cycle.
If you follow the pound per gallon rule, you shouldn't need any additional rock in a filter as that will be more than enough to support a properly stocked tank.

So would a hob filter be okay with just purigen and matrix and 10 lbs of live rock in the tank?

So would a hob filter be okay with just purigen and matrix and 10 lbs of live rock in the tank?

Yes. That's what I ran on my 2 gallon filter with 2 lbs of liverock in the tank itself... Nitrates rise quickly in smaller tanks so the less mechanical filtration to trap uneaten food and the like, the better you are.

Canister or HOB...both will cause nitrate problems if not regularly maintained. The trouble is detritus building up inside the filter. If you take the floss, or filter pad out and rinse it regularly, you won't have any trouble with it. There is no denitrifying bacteria in mechanical filters, so they leave you with nitrate. Putting rock rubble in a HOB filter will probably do the same thing as anything else in a filter- if not regularly rinsed to get all the collected detritus off.

Naaaah, mechanical filters are great in reef aquariums. Just make sure you never use a canister, this is bad...

Filter like Fluval C3 or Fluval C4, or Aquaclears are good, the sponges are easy to remove and to clean...

I clean mine once a week and everything is fine.

Any type of mechanical filtration can work. The problem comes on them simply not being maintained right. If you don't clean a canister weekly, of course it will become a nitrate sink! Same can be said if you don't change out your filter socks or anything else for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom