Moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyian

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just had to share with you guys how cool moonlights are. I just finished DIY moonlights and installed them today. Once it got dark I had to shut off the main lights to check it out. Ill tell you it sure changes the look of your tank, kind of erie look to it. So the main lights went back on until the timer shut them off then about 2 hours after lights out I watched the tank in the dark. I found more activity with the lights out and moonlights on than during the day. The fish are kind of boring cause they're sleeping but everything else comes to life. Super cool upgrade and would suggest it to anyone wondering if they should or not.

This is the site i got the DIY from. www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/moonlight/

Ian

(Edit: The link doesn't work you'll have to copy and paste)

I fixed the link for ya ;) When a URL contains one of the defined abbreviations like diy or frag....you have to parse the url [*url]www.url.com[*/url] using the URL tags sans the *

That looks pretty cool and easy. Do you turn the actnics off when you run the moon lights?

BTW, how many bulbs did you use? I saw he used 5 for a 90 gal so that should be ok for a 75. May get 10 to be safe ...

It kind of worked out perfect for me because i have a 90gal, so i followed exactly what he did. I just customized it for my hood. And yes the actnics are off. Ten may be overkill for a 75. My tank is 22 inches deep and the 5 i used light the bottom pretty good.

Your right about 10. I meant to say I would order 10 instead of 15 like the writer did. There is no price break for that quantity. BTW, how much was shipping?

I picked up the LEDs and the resistors at a local electronics store. The transformer I got from Radio Shack. I was quite surprised how expensive the LEDs were though, $5.00 can. The resistors were very cheap $2.00 for 4 in a pack and the transformer cost me about $10.00. He doesn't state what voltage he used in the DIY. It just said he was planning on using between 4.5V and 6V. So I went for the higher of the two and got a 6v 850Mhz transformer. The rest came straight from his article.

I have seen transformers that have adjustable voltage. It has been awhile though. I assumed that is what he had. I guess you had to cut the end off and hard wired it to your LED's?

I did cut off the end. They also had adjustable voltage transformers at R/S but the single voltage was cheaper and didn't come with the universal connectors(less to throw out.

I can't post the pics from my camera on this site b/c they are too large. I'm not computer literate enough to figure out how to make the file smaller. Sorry

The CSL lites cast a slightly bluish white lite.Not as blue as an actinic but not totally white either. I like the way it looks. Check the sponsor specials forum and see our specials on these right now.

CSL recomends 1 every 2 feet. I like to run 1 on a 4 foot tank mounted on the side angled across the tank lengthwise. Looks awesome!

kind of dark but you can get the idea of the beams on the bottom. It is way brighter in person. My camera takes dark pics.

Back
Top Bottom