My first reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I have been on this forum for a while now and my tank has been set up for 5 months. I thought it was time I started a thread on my tank. It is a simple 30 gallon with a HOB filter, low budget for starting out but now that I'm getting into the hobby I have plenty of room for improvement.

image-3116418070.jpg

There it is at 5 months, I'm pretty pleased. It seems to getting somewhat established.

So today I picked up 3 frags at my LFS for $50, I thought it was a good deal especially since I had wanted 2 of them for months.

image-940449093.jpg

My new duncan

image-1328030851.jpg

My new trumpet

image-1755064585.jpg

And my new lobo.

Anyway, I am thinking their placement seems to be ok but would appreciate any advice. Also if anyone has any special info on their care that would be great too. I have done some research but I know there is a lot of experience out there and I know I'm not perfect.

Attachments

• image-3281829660.jpg
    image-3281829660.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 528
Ericwm said:
So today I picked up 3 frags at my LFS for $50, I thought it was a good deal especially since I had wanted 2 of them for months.

My new duncan

My new trumpet

And my new lobo.

Anyway, I am thinking their placement seems to be ok but would appreciate any advice. Also if anyone has any special info on their care that would be great too. I have done some research but I know there is a lot of experience out there and I know I'm not perfect.

I'm about 6 months into a 90 gallon reef. I have a Duncan and 4 Lobos. The Duncan seems to like good flow. My lfs says they are pretty indestructible. I have found that the Lobos seems to like lower light. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Your tank looks nice!! Good job! :) like the corals too and you got a good deal too! :)

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I decided to move my duncan down a few inches. The arms weren't moving at all where it was, I did a bit more research and now it has moderate light and flow and seems happier.

My duncan and torch seem to be doing very well, I am pleased with both of them. My hammer is almost done splitting a head, this is its first and I'm pretty excited about it. I can't find too much info on my lobo, here is a pic after 5 days. How does it look? Does anyone know much about what signs they show about being happy/unhappy?

image-3646758221.jpg

Ericwm said:
My duncan and torch seem to be doing very well, I am pleased with both of them. My hammer is almost done splitting a head, this is its first and I'm pretty excited about it. I can't find too much info on my lobo, here is a pic after 5 days. How does it look? Does anyone know much about what signs they show about being happy/unhappy?

Eric,

Looks good. If it is unhappy, it will shrink up (might do it at night, so don't panic) and it it's really unhappy it will recede back enough to expose the skeleton. When my lights go off, if it is resting and not feeding there will be a little shrinking. Also, those little bumps will disappear. I have 4 Lobos, one of which started going south on me. What I described above is what I saw. I moved towards the back in a more shaded area and after about 2 months it has started to come back. I have noticed on my 3 that are doing well that I have seen significant growth. Just make sure you are religious with your pwc's and stay on top of your chemistry. But that is the strategy for most coral.

Eric,

Looks good. If it is unhappy, it will shrink up (might do it at night, so don't panic) and it it's really unhappy it will recede back enough to expose the skeleton. When my lights go off, if it is resting and not feeding there will be a little shrinking. Also, those little bumps will disappear. I have 4 Lobos, one of which started going south on me. What I described above is what I saw. I moved towards the back in a more shaded area and after about 2 months it has started to come back. I have noticed on my 3 that are doing well that I have seen significant growth. Just make sure you are religious with your pwc's and stay on top of your chemistry. But that is the strategy for most coral.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. How fast do they grow and what does the growth look like? It looks like mine split before I bought it but does the skeleton grow out or up?

Ericwm said:
Eric,

Looks good. If it is unhappy, it will shrink up (might do it at night, so don't panic) and it it's really unhappy it will recede back enough to expose the skeleton. When my lights go off, if it is resting and not feeding there will be a little shrinking. Also, those little bumps will disappear. I have 4 Lobos, one of which started going south on me. What I described above is what I saw. I moved towards the back in a more shaded area and after about 2 months it has started to come back. I have noticed on my 3 that are doing well that I have seen significant growth. Just make sure you are religious with your pwc's and stay on top of your chemistry. But that is the strategy for most coral.

Thanks for the info. How fast do they grow and what does the growth look like? It looks like mine split before I bought it but does the skeleton grow out or up?[/QUOTE]

Mine, so far, has just gotten bigger in overall size. Growth was noticeable within a couple of months. I have attached pics of the three that are doing well the third one I just got a few weeks ago and was a double lobo (like yours) and haven't seen anything yet.

Attachments

• image-3479762440.jpg
    image-3479762440.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 369
  • image-1619664863.jpg
    image-1619664863.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 309
  • image-3657525005.jpg
    image-3657525005.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 358
I am thinking about a third fish. I currently have an occilaris clown who is ~1" long and a coral beauty that is a little under 3 inches. I am going to start a 75 gallon build this summer to move them into but would like to add another fish for now. I really like the midas blenny and my LFS has a few, what does everyone think about their compatibility in a 29 gallon?

Thanks, I have made a few improvements since then and all my corals seem happier. I added some base rock and made a few adjustments.

image-1965698615.jpg
This is the tank now.

image-3285587766.jpg
And from the side.

I added my coral beauty about a month ago and my conch a few weeks ago. The coral beauty is a gorgeous fish and keeps algae out of my tank and I think a conch should be a part of everyone's CUC. He does a great job on the sand and is fun to watch, he has more personality than any other snail.

image-3191437913.jpg

image-1657777927.jpg

My lobo loves its new location and looks much healthier than before.

image-2189755786.jpg

And here are current pics of my new coral open. They were still acclimating to my tank in the previous shots.

image-3675432859.jpg

image-2211650185.jpg

Like your tank. Have you considered a blue background for it? Might make it "pop" even more. I had my tank without backing for a good 6 months once. The minute I put on a blue background, everything seemed so much brighter.

Thanks, I have made a few improvements since then and all my corals seem happier. I added some base rock and made a few adjustments.

This is the tank now.

And from the side.

I added my coral beauty about a month ago and my conch a few weeks ago. The coral beauty is a gorgeous fish and keeps algae out of my tank and I think a conch should be a part of everyone's CUC. He does a great job on the sand and is fun to watch, he has more personality than any other snail.

My lobo loves its new location and looks much healthier than before.

And here are current pics of my new coral open. They were still acclimating to my tank in the previous shots.

Another conch advocate!! Yea!! Lol. Love conchs!! I think everyone should have one too! :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates their conch. My favorite is when he buries himself in the sand and sticks his eye up, I wish I could get a good picture of it.

As for the background I agree I need one. I am planning on upgrading tanks this summer so I may just hold out and paint the back of my new one, this is gonna be converted to be my sump.

Back
Top Bottom