My Hermits think snails are snacks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyMonkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I ordered 50 Ilyanassa snails off Ebay. For only 7 bucks. I have quite a bit of algae for them to eat. 8O At any rate, I have 4 fairly large Clibanarius vittatus Hermit Crabs. I was worried about the crabs eating the snails. Two things happened. 1: The snails went to town on the algae, even the hair algae on the glass. :D 2: The hermits, that also eat the algae, really like the snails. At first they simply held them down and ate algae off the snail's back. Then they found a tasty treat inside. I sat freaking out while they tried to dig out the little buggers from the shells. I am not sure if any snails died though. The few that were assaulted walked away and none are apparently dead. Just wanted others to know, in case you have more expensive snails you don't want molested. Heres a pic of the action.

Attachments

• img_2947.jpg
    img_2947.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 109
I'm not sure what kind of hermits they are, but my blue leggs have killed about 10 turbo snails since I put them in the tank. (about 3 weeks ago)

10 Snails. That is quite a hit to the snail population. I am fortunate that the hermits seem to be scared of my Sea Hare. They touch it and run away. :lol:

Try giving them some sinking pellets, maybe they can get their mind off the snails.

The crabs eat everything in sight. In fact, when I do give the fish the "slow sinking pelets" they literally leap from the top of the rock wall down to the sand. :lol: Bouncing all the way down. It is rather funny actually. Freaked me out the first time they did it. They then run around picking up all the particles that make it to the sand. Then they rape my snails again. 8O I gues they are good cleaners though. I must give them that. They also eat every type of algae I have. :wink:

I think Friday I'm going to get rid of my hermit crabs. (Blue-Legs) They ate my 2 conch, and countless snails. I have a graveyard of empty shells of snails that have been eaten from those little evil things.

Sorry to hear that. Seems like a common problem. I thought the Blue legs were to be nicer than some hermits. I just picked up a 10 gallon tank for a QT. I may just slap them in there. :lol: I would take your hermits off your hands if I were closer to Iowa. :D Adopt them, if you will.

They are supposed to be peaceful, but these little buggers are evil. I don't work Friday so I think I'm going to take them up to my LFS, and they can deal with them. I think I'll pick up some nassarius snails or ceriths.

Iowa is a very long drive from Oklahoma. I did one time, and I don't think I'll be doing it again.

Blue, orange, scarlet and zebra hermits are not "eating" your snails. Hermits need and seek out larger shells.. if a snail has a larger shell than it (sometimes it doesn't even have to be larger, they're just stupid and greedy) it'll try and pull it out. My larger electric orange tried pulling the shell off a larger mexican turbo... the mexican turbo would have none of it... he just clamped down and the hermit went on its way.

I ordered 200 of those snails you just got, and about 30 of them survived (sat in the mailbox for 3 days). I put in probably 10-15 I thought might make it.. but didn't and the hermits have since then taken over their shells! :) So now I have a buncha blue/zebra legged with black shells! :D

BTW, the hermits you got are PESKY buggers. I had one, and couldn't stand it knocking my rock over and causing all sorts of havoc. It'll do everything it can to try and get out of the tank... those are some of the not-so-cool hermits but they do do a good job cleaning.

I ordered 200 of those snails you just got, and about 30 of them survived (sat in the mailbox for 3 days). I put in probably 10-15 I thought might make it.. but didn't and the hermits have since then taken over their shells! So now I have a buncha blue/zebra legged with black shells!

That is no good. 8O All of mine survived from what I can see they are still alive as well. However, I was able to greet the mailman at the door for mine. They are great though. They eat everything. My crabs are way too big for the shells on my Llanysus [sic?] snails. But they have cleaned every single one to a shiny white and green shell. I thought they were black too, that is apparently algae on them. 8O

Back
Top Bottom