Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing that may help, is to feed very sparingly for a little while. Give them a little bit of food, every other day or so, for the first week or two. This would limit the amount of waste being produced, and limit the amount of wasted food going into the water. Therefore helping to keep the ammonia down, best you can.
They may look hungry to you, but fish can go for like two weeks without anything. They won't be starving. Better a little hungry, than dead.
Good luck with them!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah going from a few inverts to 4 fish is a big difference. Your bio filter (the bacteria needed to convert ammonia into less harmful substances) needs time to catch up to handle the load of the new fish.

Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels and do water changes if it gets up to about .5.

Even if they don't die from the ammonia build-up, it will be very harmful for them.

You're kind of doing a fish-in cycle now.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy

You're kind of doing a fish-in cycle now.
That is a perfect way of describing it. The advice given on how to handle this is solid, just keep an eye on it. Ammonia over .25 can become extremely stressful for fish, almost like us being in a room of tear gas to paint a picture. And for a fish with new tank mates and aggression new parameters etc, it can all become too much too fast. Big changes usually means bigger problems.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well they have been in there for 3-4 hours and doing fine. Parameters are good but ammonia is a 0.25 I'm gunna do a water change tomorrow. Do lawn mower blennies like to hide cause that's all he's been doing.?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a good plan, just stay with it and you could be alright. I don't have one, but yeah, I think they hide quite a bit.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman
Well they have been in there for 3-4 hours and doing fine. Parameters are good but ammonia is a 0.25 I'm gunna do a water change tomorrow. Do lawn mower blennies like to hide cause that's all he's been doing.?
Hiding is part of the acclimation process but usually they find a spot in the rocks and stay there when not grazing. Atleast mine usually does.

I would get some Ammo-Lock as suggested earlier if it goes up double or triple that, warerchanges wont help much. Also test your nitrite and nitrate to see how your biological filtration is keeping up.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Hiding is part of the acclimation process but usually they find a spot in the rocks and stay there when not grazing. Atleast mine usually does.

I would get some Ammo-Lock as suggested earlier if it goes up double or triple that, warerchanges wont help much. Also test your nitrite and nitrate to see how your biological filtration is keeping up.
All fish have survived the night! Algae is still not cooperating. I have 6 T5s and 20 moonlight LEDS. I'm thing my algae increased drastically over the four day because it was used to running on 2 T5s and one T8. I ordered a phosphate remover which hopefully that will help. Here are the pic of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2145341623.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	101797   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-781881002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	101798  

Name:	image-1565742918.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	101799   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4116538164.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	101800  

Name:	image-294771781.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	101801   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3616966713.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	101802  

Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad to hear it! Stay with the ammo test, waterman!

Tags
die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com