Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-30-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Near Disaster

So, I came home from a wonderful night out with my daughters, and the lights in my kitchen are out. That means the everything in the tank is out also. So, I switch the breaker in the box (husband taught me how to do this since he travels) and I get everything back online. Ten minutes later - no lights and something is burning. My new Rio 800 ph shorted out and has burned up my power master. Everyone in the tank is very stressed - yellow tang looks grey - and clowns are hiding.

So off to Home Depot to get a new power master. Is this normal behavior for the Rio ph's? They are the best things locally - everyone here sells top fin and the other expensive, but I would never buy, garbage.

55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
rio's are notorious for having problems. I'd rather have topfin if there were no other choices.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't blame the power head. As I was putting everything back together, I noticed a leak - my new phosban 150 leaks like a sieve. Water was dripping from the top ring and from the bottom seal. I've emailed Darin at Captivereefs to see what we should do. I guess the water hit the power strip and into the rio's plug. What a combination of mistakes. I'm just lucky that I noticed it before we had a big fire - once again GFCI has saved me.
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
RIOs haven't caused me any problems, I have had them in for about a year now.
maxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com