Near Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stusclan

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I came home from a wonderful night out with my daughters, and the lights in my kitchen are out. That means the everything in the tank is out also. So, I switch the breaker in the box (husband taught me how to do this since he travels) and I get everything back online. Ten minutes later - no lights and something is burning. My new Rio 800 ph shorted out and has burned up my power master. Everyone in the tank is very stressed - yellow tang looks grey - and clowns are hiding.

So off to Home Depot to get a new power master. Is this normal behavior for the Rio ph's? They are the best things locally - everyone here sells top fin and the other expensive, but I would never buy, garbage.

rio's are notorious for having problems. I'd rather have topfin if there were no other choices.

I can't blame the power head. As I was putting everything back together, I noticed a leak - my new phosban 150 leaks like a sieve. Water was dripping from the top ring and from the bottom seal. I've emailed Darin at Captivereefs to see what we should do. I guess the water hit the power strip and into the rio's plug. What a combination of mistakes. I'm just lucky that I noticed it before we had a big fire - once again GFCI has saved me.

Back
Top Bottom