Neon Green on walls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a neon green algea growing on my walls its not hair algea its more caked onto the glass. I was just wondering what this could be and how can I get rid of it. TIA

For me I usually get this prior to coralline algae. For some reason this seems to be a base and then turns purple or pink in a couple weeks after I notice the green. I think it's kind of cool looking. How long has your tank been running?

I have the same neon green algae in my tank. I was wondering if it was good/bad. If it turns to Coraline its good!

Seriousdude, 5 months sounds about right for this to start to happen. First you will see the flourescent green base and then pinks and purple encrusting shortly thereafter. Halides take a little bit longer as coraliine does better under less lighting and prefers the actinic (blue deepwater spectrum)

IMO if it covers the whole back of the tank then its plan old algae... Coraline mostly starts in spots and works out from there not large areas at once. The algae is easy to clean off the glass right/?? if it does then test for nitrates and PO4 and silicates.

My tank has only been up for about a month and Im starting to get the neon green algae and spots of coraline.

Dark green hair algae, and dark green bubble algae on the rock.. those both suck but are easily removable with any amount of snails.

The bright green stuff is good. If it looks nasty, it probably is. If it looks pretty, its probably a good thing to keep..... of course, this is all up for subjective debate. ;)

Back
Top Bottom