Never use FedEx

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Never use FedEx. I tell people this all the time, and I just had myself proven correct once again!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Dr. Fosters and didn't bother to check who their shipper was... Sure enough a full week's gone by and I haven't seen anything. (I should mention that I live pretty close to Dr. Fosters) So I call the store and they give me the tracking number... and it's FedEx. I knew immediately that I was in for treat! So I track the order on their website and this is what I get:
NO SIGNATURE FOUND
Delivery Status: Delivered
Delivery Location: Middleton
Signed for or Released By:
Delivery Stop Number: 080
Ship Date: 12/30/2003
E-PDI Date: 12/30/2003
Est. Delivery Date: Delivered
Delivery Date: 01/02/2004
Service Level:
Total Weight: 42.0 Pounds, Gross Weight
Scheduled Time:
Scheduled Date:
Instructions:

The detail is amazing don't you think? So I call Fedex and they tell me it was delivered on 01/02/04 at 12am. That's right, 12am... I asked if they normally delivered at 12am and they went to check some things... after 10min of hold music they tell me that the center in my town is closed but they will call me tomorrow between 8am and noon. When I'm not home of corse. Then she tells me that the package was marked as "Damaged in transit"

So thats FedEx for ya... not only did they lose my package, they destroyed it as well. This is not the first time FedEx has screwed up a delivery on me... But it's definitely the last.

[/b]

I do a lot of shipping, but I normally use UPS. I have seen them all screw up equally. Both FedEx and UPS are very good about fixing their mistakes, but USPS is the worst and will never fix/pay anything.

Yes, USPS is awful... They don't even gaurentee that your package will arive. But EVERYONE hould know better than to let the government handle any of their buisness, much less their shipping. lol

I have had no problems with fed ex or ups in my dealings. There are millions of packages in transit every day so its kind of expected that a few will get damaged every once in a while. Given all the mecanized equipment that is used in sorting facilities and all.

Isn't the USPS privately owned now? I thought the gov't. shed that. Who knows, maybe someone told me wrong...you wouldn't believe the idiots that talk to me sometimes. Ahhh, retail....isn't it great. =]

We knew this lady at the UPS counter because we were there all the time before we got a private UPS account, and we were talking about packing material, and she got real solemn, and leaned across the counter and stared me straight in the eyes and said menacingly....

"If you saw these guys transfer the packages from truck to truck, and on these belts, you'd pack your stuff three times thicker than you're supposed to!"

I found that to be rather disturbing. All in all I have no problems with UPS drivers, but it seems that the damage occurs in transfer and on the belts. She said stuff gets dropped and scrunched up in the belts and thrown clear across the transfer station and onto the floor. :(

I had a buddy that worked for UPS filling up the trucks for delivery and he said if I ever saw the way packages were kicked, dropped, thrown around and just all out treated horribly I would never ship with them again. My mom once got a porcelin disney figure that was packaged with a ton of peanuts and double boxed and it was shattered into 20-30 pieces, luckily it was insured though.

I have seen the way the UPS guys throw the packages around. :(

Maybe they are former basketball players -- Pass and Shoot! :wink:

I haven't had bad luck with the shipping from DrsFosterSmith. My only complaint is that it's so slow, and to get it in any quickness at all I have to pay for extra delivery. There is even a FedEx depot right down the road from me, and that doesn't seem to help in terms of quickness.

Sorry about your experience, Pain Devine -- I hope they resolve it for you!

I bought my sister 3-4 items from Yankee Candle (via UPS), one of which was a large jar candle ($25!!). She got the package in a sorry looking state, when she went to open it she cut open her hand "mysteriously" (there was no evidence of the jar or any glass had been in the package). She only mentioned the cut after we were talking and I realized she never got the candle jar.

Can you believe that when they must have realized they broke the package, they just *removed the evidence* and closed the package back up? There was no indication they were ever going to 'fess up'. Horrible. Plus she cut her hand open.

I have had no problems with fed ex or ups in my dealings. There are millions of packages in transit every day so its kind of expected that a few will get damaged every once in a while. Given all the mecanized equipment that is used in sorting facilities and all. -Fish Freek

You ought to be ashamed of yourself Fish Freek. Everyone knows they have some guy sorting this stuff by hand on a desert island... sheesh... 8)

Oh sorry Castaway was on the tube last night... :D

Everyone knows they have some guy sorting this stuff by hand on a desert island... sheesh...

That is, in fact, false. I work at FedEx and I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are no desert island facilities. All of our package are shipped to a central location and sorted by highly trained and highly certified monkeys... Hold on, there's one at my office door now... seems he wants to talk to me about a script for Hamlet he's worked out...

btw... the above is, of course, impossible.

I use Fed Ex as my primary shipper and, so far, I haven't had any problems with them. I hope that will be a continuing trend.
When I used to drive long haul, I delivered loads at several different package companies...Fed Ex, UPS, USPS, and a few smaller operations. I never saw any of them treat the packages gently. I've hauled a few loads of Avon products too. Any of you who use or have ever ordered Avon would be amazed that any of it was in one piece if you could see what those boxes are subjected to while they're coming off the truck.

I never saw any of them treat the packages gently.

Its no suprise to me. A new employee might acutally be careful till they relize that taking the extra time to be extra gentle with items causes them to get piled up with packages. The consumers need to get the packages as soon as humanly possible causes speed to take precidence over gentleness.

fishfreek said:
Its no suprise to me. A new employee might acutally be careful till they relize that taking the extra time to be extra gentle with items causes them to get piled up with packages. The consumers need to get the packages as soon as humanly possible causes speed to take precidence over gentleness.

Agreed, my other buddy works part time for UPS and he said if you take your time you only get screwed worse. That and packges falling and getting shoved off the conveyer belts and landing on you only make you more mad causing you to release your frustrations on the packages.

Well after all this time i finaly decided to upgrad to VHO. as a matter of fact it's in the hands of UPS as we speak :uhoh: I will let ya know how it goes. There due to arrive tomorow. 8)

If you think Fed Ex is bad stay far away from Airborne express. Oh the stories i have!

Back
Top Bottom