New 30 gallon Reef in the making thread....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice start up, keep us posted on your progress. I always like following peoples tanks from start to (never) finish. Just when you think you have it done you go to the store and find something else you want to add or some new gadget you want to try. or you try and find a new way to make something simpler like auto top off. :)

"Never Finsihed....You can say that again.

Hey, speaking of auto top off? This is n't possible without a sump ha? I think it is the only thing that bothers me. I have a fan blowing across the water and I do a good topoff every night. I could never go away?

I am sorry

I am so sorry I forgot about the tank shot. I have been so busy with classes and work. I PROMISE I will do it when I get home after work tonight. I also picked up a new zoo that is half red and a little orange so I will post a pic of that as well.

All the other corals and my 2 clowns are also all doing well. I am still a little on edge about the clowns but hey, they are my first fish and I think they are going to be fine. They eat like champs and seem to enjoy each others company.

MY LFS wont sell me the single zoos on the bottom of the tanks or little frags of coral....It pissed my off....I am like look dude, I will give you 20$ for that little rock with 2 zoa on it, and he is like no I am letting it grow.....I was like so what they you can sell it for 20$ then?.....he was like probably....I just dont get some people sometimes.....stupid!

Here you go Devilshirts and SeeD

This is the best I could do because my camera is bad, algae...I will get better soon, I promise!

SeeD, sorry to hear that about the LFS and I feel even worse telling you that my small schroom and small brown polyp was free from my LFS.

I was also told by somebody today that they feed their soft corals? I was told by LFS that light was good enough. Do I need to feed something?

Also pic of new red and orange zoo and green zoo.

I have a few more pics so if I get a response I will post tomorrow night. Damm that 6 max quota..LOL

Attachments

• full_tank_501.jpg
    full_tank_501.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 15
  • middle_828.jpg
    middle_828.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 16
  • new_red_and_orange_zoo_983.jpg
    new_red_and_orange_zoo_983.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 21
  • right_side_721.jpg
    right_side_721.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 17
  • green_zoo_rock_360.jpg
    green_zoo_rock_360.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 333
  • side_of_tank_125.jpg
    side_of_tank_125.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 332
Lookin' good!

'Bout the soft corals, you cqn feed them Phytoplankton as a supplement. May help get faster growth, but not needed to the best of my knowledge.

DT's Phyto and Oyster Eggs are good products everyone reccomends. It'll feed all the filter feeder in your tank.

Thanks for all the kind words. Again, I couldn't have done any of this without everybodys help. My lfs has one zoo rock that I really want and nobody has purchased it yet. They are the kind that are longer and they are yellow with green centers and the rock is tall instead of flat. Very unique. I may buy it tomorrow. I want to go home tonight, inspect, test and see if I feel comfortable.

The other day I did some rearranging of the LR and I found a big Aiptasia so now I have 3. BUT, my package just arrived at my house from Dr. Fosters and I ordered something similar to Joe's Juice. I am going to try it once the lights are out.

As far as fish goes, I still want a blenny of some kind. I was advised by one of you that a lawnmower blenny may not be the best for a beginner but there are other kinds I like as well. The only other addition I wanted was a Cherry Fire Shrimp or to replace my Pep Shrimp.

For the cleaning crew I am taking AustinsDad suggestion and adding slowly so that they do not starve. To date I have, 2 Bumble bee snails, 3 Ceriths, 2 Margaritas, 5 Nerites, and 5 hermits. I am staying with 5 hermits but I will be adding more Ceriths and maybe some smaller Turbos than the ones I had.

One concern I have with adding a 3rd fish is the fact that I need a low bio-load in a 30 to have a nice reef, or at least I feel I will be more succesful that way because it seems to be the norm with other peoples reefs. Although, I am doing frequent PWC so we will see how it goes. Maybe something smaller like a small goby? What are your thoughts? I smell an upgrade on the way LOL...Boy I am one sick puppy.

Lol. We are all sick I think.

No Blenny is good for a new tank. Lawnmowers are great, but I'd wait 6-12 months before you get one. They need aged liverock and lots of film algae to eat. If you ever watch one in someone else's tank, or the store, they are always, always, always grazing. I have one...and it never stops! It's hard to find one that will accept any food at all. Mine hasn't liked a single thing I've tried to give it, which has be concerned.

'Bout the snails, my suggestion is some nassarius or llynasa snails. They rock, and sift your sand at the same time. :) Check out ebay for great deals. I got mine from a seller named cm-marine. I ordered 50, and I got 101! I gave most all of them away to people.

I think a goby would be fine, but would cut it off at that. :) Also, I'd add more peppermint shrimp as well. I just like them for some reason though, so that's just my personal opinion. ;)

Nice tank! Now I gotta go hit up the LFS tommorow and see what I can find!

thats the thing with reef tanks...you always want more. I know I do"
Ahem.....I have a FOWLR and am looking to upgrade, as well! LOL!

New additions

Well as you know, I am very sick. I have 2 new corals and I may be buying a pulsating xenia tomorrow.

And...I finally figured how to resize images. I just may go back and resize them all so they can stay for new people to see the thread.

Here are my new orange zoos, candy cane, and a pic of the polyp I got for free 3 weeks ago from LFS, sorry SeeD. It grew 2 new ones already!

+ a few of pics I never posted of my clown and muschroom coral.

Attachments

• branch_zoos_2_144.jpg
    branch_zoos_2_144.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 16
  • candy_cane_147.jpg
    candy_cane_147.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 15
  • free_polyp_from_lfs_317.jpg
    free_polyp_from_lfs_317.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 14
  • clown_front_111.jpg
    clown_front_111.jpg