New 30 gallon Reef in the making thread....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Mike. To answer Question 1, there is a seller on ebay named 'filterdirect'. Everyone pretty much reccomends RO/DI units by them. They are a good value and a quality product. Check it out. Bout the sump, I can't really help you besides to mention ebay and aquabid. A Ca and PO4 kit would be ideal, yes, although usually they aren't a problem. I like to keep flake food on hand at all times. I occasionaly switch up between that and frozen with my fish. I wouldn't advise buying frozen food online, for obvious reasons. IMHO, you don't need a calcium reactor. Most salt brands buffer Ca right to the correct levels. The only way you'd need a reactor would be if you had a tank VERY heavy in sps and lps corals that utilized alot of it. Do regular water changes and you will be just fine.

HTH

Thanks, I will check out "filterdirect." I am really interested in sumps and refigiums all the sudden. Can anybody explain the difference between the two for me?

Also does anybody know a good place to buy premade sumps/refigiums? I guess I need an overflow box for the sump/refigium? Is this really worth the extra money?

I really don't even know if I want to deal with it yet but I read some articles stating the importance of it for a reef tank. Am I going to be able to maintain a sucessful reef tank without a sump or refigium?

An easy option appears to be a CPR Aquafuge Hang on. Will this be benificial?

Dude I just set up my first fuge/sump ever and it's awesome man...I gotta say...it makes the tank soo much nicer...

What I did was take a hang on the back overflow box that I got cracked for 35 dollars..I used some epoxy and fixed it. I put a 10 gallon tank under my 30 gallon tank and I took a 1/8" peice of plexy that is a bit too wide for the tank and about 3-4" tall, I shuved it in the tank on one side with a slight bow in it, siliconed it in place, I put the return pump in that section (an aquaclear 70 400gph). I also shoved that area full of filter floss and macro algea. The other larger section is where the inlet is, it has live sand, algea, and live rock in it. So the water flows out of the tank through the box, into the fuge, filters through the sand, rock, algea, then filter floss and gets pumped back up to the tank.

This setup cost me 60 bucks total because I had the tank, lights and pump and had to buy the box, algea, rocks, and sand for it. It took me a few hours to set it up and spilled around 2 gallons of water...lol...But it was really worth it. I think it will really help out with the overall health of the tank.

If you have any specific questions about it, PM me and I can help you...Since we are pretty much on the same level as far as these go lol...

2070368_197_full.jpg

2070368_198_full.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on buying the first fish. I think I am either getting a pair of O Clowns or a six line wrasse. I am also going to pick up some eggcrate and make one more big order from Dr. Fosters.

Unfortunately my peppermint died. The wierdest thing was half his body was missing when I found him. Can snails do that? He only made it about 5 days. Maybe poor acclimation being my first attempt. I did it right the second time with the snails.

The 2 Aiptasias are getting big quick so I am just going to order some Joe's Juice tonight and try my hand at that

Still contemplating whether to order the HOB refigium with my order tonight. Can I even put my heater in that thing? I am not into taking up more space ya know?

heater

I am talking about an HOB refugium and my question was directed at the heat in a space that small.

I have another question. How many of you use a DSB. I understand the benefits and risks. My sandbed is shallow and I am interested in experienced opinions.

Thanks

Hey Mike, looks like you've made a lot of progress...tank is looking really good. I have a DSB and I really like it, but some others will say its not really necessary...and in a smaller tank the benefits may not add up when compared to loss of water volume, so I would probably stick with what you've got.
Also, ( and I may be wrong here ) I was going to add a six line wrasse cos i think they are a cool fish...but some people say they can become agressive as they get older and have had to remove them. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in here because , as I say , i've never had this fish myself.
Looking good, keep it up and have fun:)

If you have water flowing through the hob fuge then you aren't concentrating the heat in that area. It's spreading through the tank. Cold water coming in, warm water going out. I don't see why you would have a problem.

The day I have been waiting for...Fish and corals!!

Well I finally have 2 O Clowns and a few corals. Here are pics of the 2 clowns, 1 really nice Ricordia Rock with about 5 different little ones and 2 big for $25! And a nice mushroom and a small mushroom that the LFS threw in for me. And just one of my hermits.

How does it look? I am very happy and praying for everything to survive.

I plan on adding some Zoa's next week but I think I am going to stay with the 2 clowns for a while. I am planning on doing about a 5 gallon water change each week. The reason is because I am not running a fuge/sump and I want to keep the levels good for the corals. I am using Reef Crystals.

Attachments

• 2_clowns_facing_1_175.jpg
    2_clowns_facing_1_175.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2_clowns_and_mushroom_coral_104.jpg
    2_clowns_and_mushroom_coral_104.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 23
  • mushroom_coral_202.jpg
    mushroom_coral_202.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 18
  • ricordia_coral_422.jpg
    ricordia_coral_422.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 2_clowns_1_209.jpg
    2_clowns_1_209.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 25
looking good, i only hope mine turns out as good when i start, the clowns seem to really have gotten buddy buddy with each other

They were like that at the store so I figured it was a great pair. It is not easy to start out. I have had a lot of bumps in the last 6 weeks but thanks to everybody here helping me out I feel good about where I am at.

Corals dont add to the bioload right? I bought three and I want to go back to get one more that I wanted. I will get more pics when I get home. I can't help myself now that the tank is cycled. I have to get one more..LOL

Hey Mike. Looking very nice! Mushrooms are definiltey pretty cool, and those are nice looking ricordeas. Even if there is more you want, I would still wait about a week now and make sure all of this survives. Patience. :)

No, corals don't add to the bioload, but with a new tank, I still think it's best to stagger additions just a bit.

More Pics.

Here are some more pics. Devilshirts I read what you said after I got back from getting the coral I wanted, a starburst polyp. I will not get any more for a while and I am going to monitor closely.

Thanks for all the kind words about the tank!

Attachments

• nerite_snail_102.jpg
    nerite_snail_102.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 23
  • green_ricordia_coral_987.jpg
    green_ricordia_coral_987.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 15
  • ricordia_under_moons_397.jpg
    ricordia_under_moons_397.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 295
  • starbubrsts_polyp_347.jpg
    starbubrsts_polyp_347.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 15
  • hermit_face_100.jpg
    hermit_face_100.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 296
I will. I am going to wait til at least Friday to make sure all the corals/fish are doing ok. A small LFS near me had an awesome green Zoa rock that I payed for and he is going to hold it for me until I am ready.

AWESOME! Looks like they are doing great! Might want to set up a breeding tank, and do some reading. You might have some fry in the near future. CONGRATS on the new family members!

++EDIT++
Err, new "grand kids...in the future....

That's a great one. It comes with pretty good instructions on how to set it up. If I could do it...trust me, you can do it. :)

How about a full tank shot?

Back
Top Bottom