new 90 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lower11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally got my new 90 gal tank used from a lfs. Cant wait to start adding coral. Im waiting about a month or two before I do. Although it is a well established tank because i used all the lr and ls from my old tank and used about 70% of the water + the tank i bought was their display tank that has been running for years. Any ideas on how to use a skimmer in the sump? Not much room in there.
The cannister filter is shut off and just needs to be moved. I used it to help clear up the tank when i set it up.

Attachments

• tanka_799.jpg
    tanka_799.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 54
  • tankb_486.jpg
    tankb_486.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 65
  • tankc_120.jpg
    tankc_120.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 51
What's with the bubbles? I don't think you are really going to want those bubbles in the tank. There are several options for skimmers in the sump. You could use an inline skimmer or an insump skimmer. I would also suggest doing a good sized water change. There are a lot of nasties in that old sand I'm sure you stirred up. Do some tests on your water to see how things look.

Bubbles are OK but when they pop at the surface they cause salt creep to be on the top and back of your tank. Just extra work. I would just get a skimmer and put in the return area of your sump IME. Do you have any powerheads pointing up for surface agitation?

I ended up pulling the bubbles out. I will have to check the levels when i get home. The tank has cleared up really nicely. I always thought i needed the air bubbles. Very happy to take them out.
as for Melosu58 I just added 3 power heads. the top has the return pump and another powerhead. I also added 2 powerheads on each side buried in the rocks. I had a seaClone skimmer but it wouldnt even fit on the return area of the sump. I was going to replace it anyways. Any recommendations for a type of skimmer?

after all the feed back I have added some changes to the tank. Today I just bought a skimmer. Decided to go with a used MRC MR 1. Now the question is should i add it to my refuge or keep it in the sump that it came with. Any ideas? He gave me two pumps. The Gen x and a Quite one. I will add pics

Attachments

• rsz_p1020057_175.jpg
    rsz_p1020057_175.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 62
  • rsz_p1020062_488.jpg
    rsz_p1020062_488.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom