New anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just Got 2 new anemones, they get along well, they were in the lfs tank and they were close to each other and had no prob. What I got was a green carpet anemone, and a brown with green tip long tentacle anemone, they are both healthy and eat as well, they eat quite abit, also my tube anemone is eating also :) The brown saddleback loves the anemones, Im going to wait until my perc goes in one, because they lfs said they only get wild fish.

Wow, congrats on another foolish purchase. Mixing anemones = bad idea, So now you have a sebae, LTA, BTA, carpet, and tube? In a 55, hmmm very responsible. If I were you I would return all the anemones but one, and BTA, and a carpet will be fine under VHO. LTA and Sebaes need halides.

Bearfan said:
Although I disagree with the overall tone of the reply, I do agree with it.

Yeah, seriously, dude. Just tell a person whether or not it's the best plan.

So now you have a sebae, LTA, BTA, carpet, and tube?

I actually have the lta and the carpet and the tube, the others went back to lfs along time ago, but the anemones has attached already and are doing fine. The lfs had like 5dif anemones in a 40 gal and they didnt have war, mine are fine, you always have to put down a tank that is fine. Oh btw, all the advice you gave me like the cc star isnt true, he hasnt knocked over anything and is completely fine. Also saying the two clowns will kill to death, that didnt happen. Having my way too many fish will crash the tank, nothing tragic has happend and it is doing fine.

29gal with 7lbs of live rock? Mr. R you need to get some more :wink: not asap or anything, but its good to have alot of LR

What LFS encouraged this kind of thing? I know...way too many. I think some of the blame for such thing need to go to them. Although purchases should be researched by the hobbiest, the LFS should raise an eyebrow in this case.
Guess I'm lucky. When I inquire on a particular animal at my LFS, they alway give their opinion on compatability with my current inhabitants.

all the advice you gave me like the cc star isnt true, he hasnt knocked over anything and is completely fine. Also saying the two clowns will kill to death, that didnt happen. Having my way too many fish will crash the tank, nothing tragic has happend and it is doing fine.

Interesting, can you find the thread where I said these things. I believe I said the CC will eat inverts.... and yes mixing clowns is a bad idea. I have a feeling those last 2 anemones died. As far as my advice being wrong, ill save it for those who appreciate it. Cause your LFS obviously has all the answers. I really loved the emperor angel advice they gave you... you know how it would be fine in a 55 gallon.

No, and the cc star didnt eat any inverts, did nothing, it just eats algae. I took the anemones back to the lfs because you told me to :wink:

the cc star didnt eat any inverts

This dosen't mean that they don't. There predatory by nature, and will eat any inverts they can capture. As well as corals, I have one that even eats aiptasia. If you want to do whats right, why not just keep one anemone?

Sixline, how are the tangs doing? How many left now?

There doing great.. There all alive and well. What does that have to do with this thread? Oh wait nothing.

SaltwaterTeen said:
29gal with 7lbs of live rock? Mr. R you need to get some more :wink: not asap or anything, but its good to have alot of LR

The thing is my tank has one of those foam bio-filters in it. So I don't really have a ton of room for the rock. I am going to be putting in 3 more pounds this Tuesday. I'll see what it looks like after that. I'll try and get pictures, but I don't know how long it will be.

What does that have to do with this thread? Oh wait nothing.

Very true, but it has to do with your credibility. You tell people to not do things because that is what you have learned through your research, yet you do something that same research tells you is a VERY bad idea, for an experiment. Why should anyone follow your advice?? You disregaurd the advice of more experienced aquarists when it suits your fancy...why shouldn't they? You see you are hoist by your own petard.

Totally OT, I would love to see a recent pic of all the tangs doing fine, but your credibility on this forum is shot, it's sad too, cause even though you were very nasty about it...your advice to SWT was right on the money.

oh wow a whole bunch of fighting kids!! Any one seen the babysitter? Opinions are like a......s, everybody has one. Just state yours and be done. Let's all try to be big kids now! Can't we all just get along? Now that thats done, let's all talk to others the way we like to be talked too!!!!!

Mixing anemone species is only limited by the size of the tank. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it provided you take the proper precautions. Aggressive skimming and use of carbon will prevent chemical warfare issues. Since both of these anemones have somewhat different light, flow and geographic needs, both may end up co-exhist fine together for a time. It really is going to depend on where each settles and the growths rates. IME, if they end up at opposite ends, you won't have any problems in the near future but you will eventually.

I agree it was not a wise purchase but not for the reasons stated previously. The only forseable problem I see is both these species can get quite large and a 55 gal may become too small a space in a few years. You will end up with no room for anything else.

Given the light intensity, 4-110watt VHO With IceCap Ballast and 2-55watt PC. Halides need not apply. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I think If I ever get any anemones, ill buy a fake one cuz they dont die and apparently clowns love them is what I heard from a recent post :wink:

SaltwaterTeen said:
So I need halides to keep them alive? Darn... Halides are spendy :cry:
Considering the tank depth you have and the lights supporting it, you do not need halides for the anemones you've indicated.

Cheers
Steve

I have to chime in and say this. Six-line you give good advice, that is true. The only problem is the way you say it. Your past experience's (tangs), would not even be brought up, if you spoke with a little more kindess to those that are learning. I think that you are smart about the hobby, and that you have made mistakes, as we all have, but the issue is not of that, but of how you address others in the forum. Maybe in the future, you could try to be a little more gentle. :wink:

PS. You have given me good advice in the past. You made me mad before :lol: , but you gave me good advice. Just think how much more effective your good advice will be, when somone is not offended by how you gave it. Blessings! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom