New anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Six-Line said:
That carpet looks pretty bleached. Make sure to feed him well, silversides would probably be best.
I completely disagree on both accounts. The anemone has a few patch marks but nothing close to bleached and once settled should recover just fine water specs permitting. As far as feeding is concerned, you feed the fish so therefore you by default feed the anemone. Extra feeding are only needed if the tank went without general feedings.

Cheers
Steve

Where do I get silversides? I use a frozen formula variety pack, it contains stuff like brine shrimp and other stuff.

Well when you look at them they have a very strong sting, and are extremely sticky. Not to mention they are notorious for killing and eating most fisk kept in the tank with them. Not to mention they need metal halide lighting (or at least it's recommended). So direct feeding will only help the anemone IMO.

Where do I get silversides?

Should be at your LFS, there just glass minnows. I catch my own off shore.

Six-Line said:
Well when you look at them they have a very strong sting, and are extremely sticky. Not to mention they are notorious for killing and eating most fisk kept in the tank with them. Not to mention they need metal halide lighting (or at least it's recommended). So direct feeding will only help the anemone IMO
So basically what your suggesting is because they have a mouth and the ability to capture prey they should be fed and require it?

I highly disagree. Most Cnidaria have mouth's and most if not all do not require feeding or intervention on the part of the hobbiest except to provide proper water chemistry and appropriate light. MH is indeed recommended for this particular species but given the light intensity in this particular instance, it would not be the case.

Anemone's in particular feed over 85% of their nutritional needs by converting zoothanthellae in it's tissues to sugars. The rest will typically be made up from supplimental debris/proteins from the water column. In the case of a captive system, this will most adequately be derived from the general feeding of fish. More than that will usually result in a large and fast growing animal or a dead one due to it's inability to adapt.

I am by no means suggesting you should not defend your position but IME with many of these species, direct feeding is commonly one of the greater downfalls of captive care.

Cheers
Steve

More than that will usually result in a large and fast growing animal or a dead one due to it's inability to adapt.

Thats is a good point, the more you feed the faster it will grow. I personally would feed it if it was mine.

revhtree said:
Steve, I sware, I stand in awe of your knowledge. :eek2: You are like an aquarium encyclopedia!

I agree...I think he's probalby forgotten more about this hobby than I know about this hobby.

IMO, I would trust what Steve says about keeping anemones...he's one of the few that has been able to keep them alive and healty for several years.

Steve's answers are not "just because" answer's. He has the knowledge to back up his descisions in this hobby. Sorry I did not mean to hijack this thread, but Steve deserves his props!

Kudos to you Steve, and I think he deserves more from other folk around here. :wink:

PS. To join the Steve S. fan club, simply send Steve 100 kudos, and add,
"offical member of the Steve S. fan club" to your signature.

Yes Steve is a great resource to this site and he always gives great advice.

I would like to remind everyone involved here that a few posts in this thread come very close to violating the Rules and Regs on posting. No one has directly crossed the line but some posts have come rather close.

I dont direct feed my Green Carpet I just feed the tank. I think your carpet looks fine and Good Luck with it.

Kaye

I like steve that Ill donate and join the club! :D I feed my carpet once everyday, so am I making a big mistake? He eats fine. What about my LTA I also feed him everyday, whenever I feed it I get alittle jumpy because it has very sticky tentacles! 8O

I dont think Steve was saying that it is a problem. I think he was saying that it is not nessecary. My clown fees my anemone, and it also grabs what food is floating around during feeding time. HTH! :wink:

PS. It is double, almost triple it's original size. :D

revhtree said:
I dont think Steve was saying that it is a problem. I think he was saying that it is not nessecary.
Actually more often than not it is a problem. Feeding anemone in this fashion when foods are already introduced generally become an excessive amount of food. When an anemone processes smaller amounts of solids, their systems are not taxed much but when food is overly abundant, their systems go through a fair amount of stress processing the food and then expelling the waste. The continued process actually robs the anemone of energy stores and can leave the animal sickly and susceptible. Many actually begin wasting or simpley give up.

The only time I would ever recommend feeding an anemone would be in the absence of fish feedings and even then very sparingly and very small portions.

Cheers
Steve

Please be gentle folks....Saltwater teen is just a kid and it is wonderful that young people are taking an interest in the hobby. I have wonderful young son that is taking an active interest in this hobby too. There is so much to learn. Even after 12 years of saltwater and freshwater keeping, I am still learning. Hence, my post about my condylactus. I am just starting to learn about the inverts. I have always kept fish only takes.

SaltwaterTeen said:
My clown doesnt fee dthe anemones so I do it myself
Your clown doesn't need to feed it either nor do they most times. What most people mistake as their clown caring for their host is actually quite the opposite. The clown takes the food back as a means of protection and in the process the anemone grabs the food. Remember, the food does not have the ability to escape the anemones grasp as the clown does and anything that touch's their flesh is immediately trapped.

Be assured, what floats by when you feed the fish is plenty. If the anemone wants some, it's more than capable of capturing it. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom