Niger trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve silbernagel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking to add something unique to my reef. I've really came fond of the Niger trigger although I would be risking the lives of a few fish and inverts. Looking for advice from people that has one or has had one in the past. It seems like tangs are they only real unique fish for a reef :(

I agree, I've read that they are the most tame of the triggers. I read a blog this morning this guy had a Niger for two days and it ate 3 fish. Although I know nothing on how it was kept in the store maybe it was starved. The one I've got my eye on seems pretty tame but I'm still on the fence about it. I just got through a bad experience with my ebili anglerfish, with in the first week he picked my acans to near death and it took me 3.5 hours to get him out and tore my reef all apart in the process

I've had my Nigel trigger now for just over a year and he is awesome. He gets on mega well with all my other fish. When I put new coral in the display he genially try's to move it but after a couple off hrs he kind of looses interest and leave it alone. At feeding time he is a bit of a pig and will dart around and try and get it all before it hits the bottom. So I chuck some food down the back of some live rock for me bottom feeders and there all good. Sometimes at feeding he kind of grunts at me. He is quite a character. :).

Svenbey said:
I've had my Nigel trigger now for just over a year and he is awesome. He gets on mega well with all my other fish. When I put new coral in the display he genially try's to move it but after a couple off hrs he kind of looses interest and leave it alone. At feeding time he is a bit of a pig and will dart around and try and get it all before it hits the bottom. So I chuck some food down the back of some live rock for me bottom feeders and there all good. Sometimes at feeding he kind of grunts at me. He is quite a character. :).

Was he calm when u got him from your LFS

Yeah I got him when he was still small and young. I might of been lucky with him. I have some hermit crabs two which he don't bother. All my fish are around the same size. I added a sailfin the other day and he is all good with him.

Buyer beware. All triggerfish are predators, some more aggressive than others. I would classify this as the same risk you take when adding angelfish to a reef. Might work out, might not.

So I went with the sailfin tang. After the torment that my anglerfish put me through I thought to play it safe

Attachments

• image-613576186.jpg
    image-613576186.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 79
I've had my niger for almost two months. He makes sure to eat every bit of food I give him. He ate a chromis I added with my yellow tang within ten minutes(which the chromis was only about the size on my finger nail, so I expected that to happen)right now him and the tang are great. Always swim together and don't fight at all. I do find it funny that he has aggression toward my other pets. I will pull up a chair and my cats will sit on my lap and watch too, but he lunges at the glass at the cats.

A blue throat trigger is also considered somewhat reef safe (just a potential danger to inverts, not corals)

The word Niger rhymes with the word tiger. No one is saying anything inappropriate :)

Back
Top Bottom