Nuvo 38 and Kessil Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know have two identical setup's: Nuvo 38's and one (on each) Kessil a350W Blue Tuna LED lighting. My issue is I wondering if the PAR value's are too high for these tanks. My corals are getting bleached. My welly's, trachy's, gold australian torch and frogspawns. I have them now at the bottom of the tank and have reduced both the blues and whites greatly. I used to shut the whites off after about 8 hours or 9 (at about 30%) and would just leave the blues on for a few more hours. What I'm asking is, what would be the proper settings because right now I have them down so much, it doesn't even appear to be enough light, BUT, all the corals are open.

Kessil a350w's pack quite a punch, so they may be a little overkill for that size tank. That said, the benefit is that they have a dimming feature for both white and blue. In looking at the dimensions of your tank, you have about 19" of water depth to punch through, so I believe you are doing the right things by lowering the intensity and moving your LPS to the bottom. With these LEDs, you really have to take time to acclimate your corals to the light. What height above the tank do you have the Kessil at? I am currently running an a350w on my 4' frag tank at about 12" of water depth, and about 20" off the water. Even still, I'm only running it at about 40% intensity. This gives me stronger light in the middle of the tank for my SPS, along with weaker intensity at the edges for my LPS and softies.

I have them so low that they look dark, but the all the corals are open. The lights are attached with Kessil's gooseneck, so they are only inched off the tank.

If they are only inches off, I'd leave the intensity as is. Over the course of the next couple weeks, slowly raise the intensity. I doubt you will be able to get it near full intensity however. Give them time, and your corals will acclimate to the new lighting conditions though.

Back
Top Bottom