Octopus for home tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are there species that are small enough to be kept in a home tank? How about squid?

Yes, but then there are home tanks which are quite frankly, huge-normus. But yes, they can be put in a home aquarium. How small were you thinking?

My personal opinion is that octopus & squid, like seahorses, may be kept in the home, but require a lot more time and energy than most are willing to put forth.

Just a couple of warnings, before you get too excited, they will be escape artists, like eels (though I'm told these guys are even worse, and seem to do anything to spend a night on the floor.. mm.. lint!).

If it gets scared, it may release an ink cloud.. that's bad. You'll need to do a large water change just to keep it alive, unless your aquarium is as big as your house.

If you're willing to accept that, and put in all the work involved, then I say rock on. I'm told they can be taught tricks :mrgreen:

All I know is all of the books that I have on marine life say to due extensive research on the Octopus and the like. They require extreme care to keep in the home aquarium. They do not do well in captivity. They require a large habitat.

Octopodidae (Hapalochlaena maculosa)
Common name: Blue ringed octopus

Grows to about 4 inches. Extremely dangerous. Poison from a bite from this species is deadly to humans. (as little as a fraction of a gram of poison)

Sepiidae (Sepia pharaonis)

Grows about 14 inches
This one is a predator and will eat anything that moves. (Species tank only I would think)

This is not information from experience or from folks that I know have these species. This information came from 3 books that I have that had something about Octopus in them.

HTH

Mike

Sparky said:
Octopodidae (Hapalochlaena maculosa)
Common name: Blue ringed octopus

Very common and cheap like dirt (the shops buy them wholesale for about $5-$10)...but....all octopi are escape artists, able to squeeze through any space they can shove their beak through...blue-ringed octos are fairly aggressive, and if, somehow, you are bit, I will bet the nearest antivenin is about 10 hours too far away.

You can get Carribean dwarf octos, but they are about $50-$100 (when available), and you should have a dedicated tank.....and even then, 2-4 years is about the max you can expect out of them.

I saw a video of one that got out of its tank, snacked on some inhabitants of another thank, and went back across the floor to its own tank... The idea of an octopus on my floor at 6 am is not on my list of things to see.

"blue-ringed octos are fairly aggressive, and if, somehow, you are bit, I will bet the nearest antivenin is about 10 hours too far away. "

There is no antivenin for blue-ring!!!!

Its more like " you are bit, and die in 10 min" :? :? :?

Saw that show, was great. I think it was a discovery channel special. Dwarf octo's live to be around 1, and rarely 2 years old in the wild so plan on needing a new pet every year. They need to be in a species tank, require pristine water, and fed live food daily. They are nocturnal and like to hide, so you might not see them often. Even with all those downsides I was really tempted to get one. Still might some day. If you're actually interested...
www.octopets.com

IMO, octos are better left for the public aquariums.

Not only are these guys super smart, but they are also strong. They can easily move all of your LR around if it is not glued or tied down. Also, like already mentioned, they are escape artists. If there is a way out, they will find it.

vega said:
"blue-ringed octos are fairly aggressive, and if, somehow, you are bit, I will bet the nearest antivenin is about 10 hours too far away. "

There is no antivenin for blue-ring!!!!

I was under the impression that the Aussies developed an antivenin a couple of years ago, but I see that it is still in the research/testing stages.

I knew someone who had an octopus (no idea what kind) but his girlfriend made him get rid of it after if got out of the tank, got into another tank and ate the goldfish, and went back home. She was afraid they'd wake up and find it in bed with them. They're smart, sneaky buggers and way too creepy for me! (Uh, the octos, not the friend/girlfriend.)

http://www.tonmo.com/ http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/keepingcephs/keepingcephs.php . This site is awesome and has tons of info on octos. They can make great pets to those willing and can meet their requirements. I hope in the future of getting O. bimaculoides or O. briareus. BTW squids make awful pets, don't do well in captivity and almost impossible to keep. If you want an octo definately go for it. HTH, Wolf

I just got back from the LFS and they had an octopi in one of their tanks. They have what must be over 10lbs of rock on the hood/lid and the back is completely taped up with duct tape making escape impossible...or so you think. The owner came into today and found the octo in the tank and four bio-balls floating in the water. There are no bioballs in the tank or it's filtration. The closet ones were in a bucket on the floor a few feet away. So the animal escaped from an escape-proof tank, collected up some bioballs for what ever reason and broke back into it's own escape-proof tank. AMAZING!! Truely an remarkable animal, but one best left with room to roam in the wild.

There was cases where some octo used the LR in the tank to smash the glass.

HTH

Any videos of Octs getting out, breaking glass. This stuff would be great to see.

i just read in one of my books that nautlis's are hardy in species only tanks and have a fair life span, some have been breed in public aquariums, thing is they dont like light at all, so it would have to be displayed under red lights

Back
Top Bottom