Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2005, 04:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
overflow box and return pump gph rates

What would be a good gph rate for an overflow box and a return pump for a 46 gal tank with a 20-30 gal sump/fuge? I found a decent priced overflow box that is rated 300 gph would this be ok? If so what would the gph rating on the return pump need to be?

Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
steve-s

The flow rates are going to depend on what kind of tank it will be. FO will not require as much as FOWLR or even more still if a coral tank. You also need to decide if you want to eliminate any visible powerheads in the tank and rely primarily on the returns from the sump or closed loop.

A 300 GPH overflow rate would be kinda low for that sized tank. You would still need a few powerheads in the tank though. If that works for you then it's all good. A MAG 350 would do for a return pump. It has a flow rate of about 250 GPH after head calculation.

I would actually suggest getting something closer to a 600 GPH overflow though, higher if you'll be keeping SPS's. You can then get a MAG 7 or similar return pump and have much less need for intank powerheads.

It really comes down to what you want in the tank...

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
I am going to make a reef tank so I wil most likely need a higher rated gph then. thanks a lot for the info. anyother suggestions would help.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared333
anyother suggestions would help.
I would actually suggest you put together a bit of an "overall" plan for your set up and post a new thread. Then you could get better suggestions rather than "piece mealing"

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the suggestion. that is basically what I have been doing "piece mealing". I will get things toget her than put it all in one post.

Tags
flow, gph, overflow, overflow box, pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Whodunnit? | SCWD »