overflow box and return pump gph rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
What would be a good gph rate for an overflow box and a return pump for a 46 gal tank with a 20-30 gal sump/fuge? I found a decent priced overflow box that is rated 300 gph would this be ok? If so what would the gph rating on the return pump need to be?

The flow rates are going to depend on what kind of tank it will be. FO will not require as much as FOWLR or even more still if a coral tank. You also need to decide if you want to eliminate any visible powerheads in the tank and rely primarily on the returns from the sump or closed loop.

A 300 GPH overflow rate would be kinda low for that sized tank. You would still need a few powerheads in the tank though. If that works for you then it's all good. A MAG 350 would do for a return pump. It has a flow rate of about 250 GPH after head calculation.

I would actually suggest getting something closer to a 600 GPH overflow though, higher if you'll be keeping SPS's. You can then get a MAG 7 or similar return pump and have much less need for intank powerheads.

It really comes down to what you want in the tank...

Cheers
Steve

I am going to make a reef tank so I wil most likely need a higher rated gph then. thanks a lot for the info. anyother suggestions would help.

Rsquared333 said:
anyother suggestions would help.
I would actually suggest you put together a bit of an "overall" plan for your set up and post a new thread. Then you could get better suggestions rather than "piece mealing"

Cheers
Steve

thanks for the suggestion. that is basically what I have been doing "piece mealing". I will get things toget her than put it all in one post.

Back
Top Bottom