oxygen levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm sure it's on this site somewhere, but I can't seem to find it so I'm gonna ask. Is there any way to raise 02 levels? (besides open windows, go topless, and have good surface agitation?) I am still battling cyano and I'm at my witt's end.......this is the only thing I haven't tried.

Also, I've seen (somewhere, can't remember) and o2 test kit?!?!?! Seriously, do these work?

sure did....but not a total blackout yet---I'm just worried about my BTA.....that will be my last resort, and even then, I'm not sure it would be worth it to try......the cyano does grow slowly

I tried a ton of stuff, but in the end, Time was what cured my outbreak. I am not saying this will work, but when I finaly gave up, is when it started to cure itself.

What would the goal of raising O2 accomplish?

Cheers
Steve

I'm not sure, I just read the cyano article again, and it mentioned it. It's the only other thing I haven't done, so I thought I would ask. Do those test kits even work? Should I not be concerned about the 02 level?

There are plenty of oxygen test kits and I’ve used them with FW/SW and they do work.

With FW or planted tanks monitoring o2 is important but with SW and with all the water movement/surface agitation we create in our tanks it easily maintains at 12+ ppm and is a waste of time testing IME. (I have done it but never had a "low" reading with SW tanks)

As ReefRaff said no matter what we do to reduce nutrients or lighting sometimes you just have to wait it out.

Just to go through the litany once again, you:
1. cut back the lights to 4 hours or less /day
2. cut feedings to every 2-3 days
3. cut amount fed at feedings
4. continue to do 20% weekly PWC with RO/DI water
5. vacuum out the cyano during a PWC
6. tested water for PO4 and it tests at 0 and/or you are using Phosban or similar
7. tested for nitrate and get 0 for a reading
8. have replaced all bulbs (PC older than 6 months, MH over a year, etc.)
9. added or moved a PH or two to achieve more flow in the affected areas

The last thing to try is Chemi-clean by Boyd Enterprises, INC. It will take care of the cyano in your tank in just a few days. It is reef safe. BUT, unless you solve the source of the problem it will be back. Mine came back after treating then I changed my bulbs and adjusted a PH. It was gone in about a week. I spent about 2 months trying to get rid of before that.

yep, cmor, I've tried all of that......I did recently move a PH to up the flow right on the one spot where it grows, though.....hopefuly that'll do it.

Back
Top Bottom