Fish in cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Driley19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I am new to the aquarium hobby (as a more serious hobbies). I had many tanks growing up but knew nothing about how to properly maintain them, the nitrogen cycle etc.

Now I'm in it for real and have already learned quite a bit it just the first two weeks. For starters I have learned a lot about the nitrogen cycle and am currently in the process of cycling with fish in (yes I know this is more challenging)

I have a large 50 gallon community tank with about 16 small fish (3 blackskirt and 3 BA tetras, 3 danios, 3 dwarf gouramis (all female), 3 black mollies (all female), one pleco and three mystery snails. My ammonia levels are down to zero and my nitrites are still a bit high and I've been doing 25-50% water changes daily to every other day. I've been using API quickstart to add bacteria and seachem prime to detox the current levels of ammonia and nitrite while the cycling process continues.

However, I'm now worried about the cycle stalling because my Kh and ph are slowly dropping. I'm hoping to get some insights as to where I am in the nitrogen cycle and what to expect next and any steps I should take to keep my fish happy and healthy. My most recent water parameters after a 50% pwc today are below. I've ordered the API master kit as I know it's more accurate than the strips so the numbers below are approximate for that reason.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- greater than 1 but less than 5
Nitrates- are considerably high but can't remember exactlly they were, def at the top end of the "safe" range.
My KH is 0
And pH is 6.4 (lowest the strip goes so hopefully not too much lower than that)
My GH is on the higher end as we have fairly hard water just not KH high apparently.

Thanks everyone!

Well for starters, if you’ve got excessive nitrite and nitrate levels even after a 50% water change I would do another 50% in a few hours, then even another one if they’re still high. Nitrite is hard on the fish as is excessive nitrates

Have you tested your tap water parameters?

With a 0 kh reading your tank is highly susceptible to ph swings as well as issues sustaining the cycle. Crushed coral is a common ‘cure’ for low kh in an aquarium

In a cycled tank you will have zero Ammonia and zero Nitrites.

However, you will wind up with some Nitrates.
That is not really a bad thing

Nitrates are not toxic for fish until they are at very high levels
In addition some Nitrates are necessary for plant growth in a planted tank.

So, with water changes after a tank is cycled all you are basically doing is help keeping Nitrates at a good level for fish and plants... about 20-40 PPM

BTW, other ways to help keep Nitrates down is having fast growing plants, avoiding over feeding and over stocking.
Do what ever works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom