I think my cycle restarted after 3 months?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PluggyBaitBoi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey y'all,

I'll admit this is my first tank and I definitely got in way over my head when I first bought the tank. I ended up getting a 10 gal and a sunset variatus platy(his name is Kuboros, Destroyer of Worlds), the tank had been running for about 2 or 3 weeks before I went and picked up Kubo up, as per the store employee's instructions. I'd read about cycling and what not and knew that I was gonna be in it for a while, but good lord.

So up until maybe a week ago I knew I was near the end of the cycle. Had 0 ppm ammonia, stayed around 0.25-0.50 ppm Nitrites, and a whole lot of nitrates. I can't remember what the reading was but I know it was more then 10, maybe in the 20 range? (I was in the middle of finals for college, so forgive my brain fog.) Nitrates have been dropping gradually for a little while. I thought I was in the clear, since all of the instructions that I'd read told me that from there on out it should level out with my regular water changes, tho I was a little weirded out by the fact that the nitrites weren't gone.

I just did a water change yesterday, fully conditioned, with fertilizer for my plants, and a little bit of stress coat later in the evening because Kubo HATES water changes with a passion. I'm careful not to add too much because I know that it can deplete oxygen but I hate seeing him stress.

I noticed him acting off today after adding a couple new plants, acting extra jumpy, not coming up for food, rapid breathing, etc. Pretty noticeable red-flags, so I checked the water and bruh. 0 ppm nitrites, 0 ppm nitrates, 1-maybe 1.5 ppm ammonia.

Wth??? I can't think of anything in the past week that's changed in my aquarium other than today's new plant? I just have a couple of anubias and crypts. I had some snail eggs hatch this week, but that couldn't possibly cause a crash. I'm pulling my hair out here.

I guess it should be noted as well that there's a bit of ammonia in my tap water, about 0.25-0.5, so I usually see just a little bit of ammonia in the tank right after a water change, but all my nitrates are gone? I'm super confused, if anyone can offer me any advice... Much appreciated...

Back
Top Bottom