Pairing Maroon Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone had any luck keeping a pair of maroon clowns? Everything I have read states only one per tank unless they are paired. I found two at an LFS that were in the same tank, but hey were not advertised as a pair, but were not showing aggression either. I purchased them on a whim and have them in QT under close survelience. So far they seem to be doing well. One is slightly larger(3.5") and has a band on the top of the forehead(female?) and the smaller one has a band that goes almost all the way around the head (male?).

After three days with very minimal aggression observed. They seem to swim together constantly. Am I flirting with disaster as they mature or is it possible I stumbled on a pair? I do have the ability to sperate them if needed. My long term plan is to place them in my 75 gal with a pygmy angel and fire fish.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

If you have size differences, then chances are you have one of each sex (I don't believe the banding has anything to do with the sex). This doesn't mean they will actually breed, but it sounds like they will be fine together. Now you just have to show us some pics! :)

So far they seem to be doing well. One is slightly larger(3.5") and has a band on the top of the forehead(female?) and the smaller one has a band that goes almost all the way around the head (male?).

The larger is (or will be) the female, the smaller is the male. It is possible that both are still males at this point in time. The banding is simply misbarring that is fairly common in tank raised clowns, has nothing to do with the sex of the clown.

Am I flirting with disaster as they mature or is it possible I stumbled on a pair?

IMO, they are either already a pair, or will become one. Maroon clowns are quite belligerant and would have torn each other up if they were two females. If they have not reached sexual maturity yet and niether has changed to female, expect some bickering as one asserts itself over the other, it is natural, the most dominant will be the female.

Thanks for the info. This is what I suspected/hoped when I picked them out. I will try and get a pic tonight, the last time I tried to post a pic the file was too big so I will try to figure out how to set the camera on a lower setting.

In the mean time I will keep my fingers crossed, but so far all seems well.

Thanks again,

Back
Top Bottom