Patrick's 55-Gal Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think the holes in eggcrate are too large. i have seen folks make a frame out of wood and stretch bridal veil (you can buy it at the crafts store) over it and staple or glue it.

What kind of lid do you have? Would egg crate keep him in?

Just the 2 stock hood/lights that came with the tank.

I was really thinking of going with eggcrate when I get my new light fixture, but I might have to build a screen like Doug suggested.

We have a new addition!

I've been wanting to check out this store because they claim to be the biggest coral seller in all of NV. Once my fiance and I get there she is immediately drawn to the tanks and asking, "Can we get that one, how about this one?" Of course 90% of the fish were tangs or wouldn't fit in my tank after a few months-year (thankfully I've been doing lots of research over the past few months to avoid getting something I can't realistically keep).

Anyway, we picked up a Royal Gramma for her, and a Scarlet Skunk shrimp for me. Once home I acclimated them for about 2 hours, then introduced them to the tank with the lights off (as I did with my previous livestock).

The shrimp stay in the same place on the sand for about 30min and then started to swim a bit. My jawfish chased him only for a moment, but that was the last I saw of the shrimp. The gramma is eating and doing great.

It's been 4 days and there has been no signs of him at all. I know from reading earlier posts that unless you can find any remains, then you shouldn't assume he was eaten. From the very next morning to now I have done thorough searches and can't even find a leg. The shrimp was probably 2" and my jawfish is not even 4". Could he have swallowed the shrimp whole?

it's possible that the shrimp just died and worms pulled him under the rock work to pick the carcass. i would be more concerned about the gramma killing the shrimp than the jawfish.

The gramma is barely 1/4" bigger than him; also, I haven't see any worms...yet. Could it have all happened in a matter of a few hours?

i have witnessed pseudochromis attack a shrimp and kill it, but not eat it. the size is not really important. those fish are pretty aggressive for their size IME.
you definitely have worms. they are just few and hiding during the day right now. if you want to test my theory, wait till the lights go out tonight and toss some food in the tank. use a flashlight. you'll see some worms emerge.
as for the disappearance, i'm just tossing some things out there. for all i know it could be fine and just hiding.

i have witnessed pseudochromis attack a shrimp and kill it, but not eat it. the size is not really important. those fish are pretty aggressive for their size IME.
you definitely have worms. they are just few and hiding during the day right now. if you want to test my theory, wait till the lights go out tonight and toss some food in the tank. use a flashlight. you'll see some worms emerge.
as for the disappearance, i'm just tossing some things out there. for all i know it could be fine and just hiding.

Lol, thanks... I'm pretty open to anything right now, I just didn't suspect worms. What kind do you think they are? Good/bad?

i think they are good if they are cleaning up the mess. hard to say what kind you have except i'm sure you have some common bristle worms.

You got any hermits? If the shrimp died, they've likely done away with the remains.

I do have a hermits. I was just surprised at how quickly they (or worms) got rid of the evidence, I figured something would've been left behind

Finally something new! Ok, so it has been a while since anything has happened with the tank, money has been going to other things.

A few nights ago I finally clicked "Commit" on Ebay and purchased (2) Hydor Koralia Evolution 1050gph for $79 with free shipping from Pet Treats (pettreatsguy)... shipping took 2 days from WI to Vegas (y)

(March 23, 2011)
img_1266495_0_f6dbefbdb444143dd3aaa9be86649bc2.jpg

I must admit that I was surprised by their size, I thought they were way smaller. Though the weight is heavy, I'm sure it reflects their quality. Here's a comparison to a golf ball:

img_1266495_1_66bae75713bccde4938813f626086264.jpg

After giving them a thorough rinse I put them in the tank and turned them on. I have the left 1 aimed for the very center of the front glass, and the right one pointing a little towards the back. My return pipes are aimed down to the corners (picture below was before I moved them).

As soon as I turned these puppies on it was like a sand storm, except no sand, just waste that has been collecting in the cracks that my return flow couldn't reach (which apparently was a lot). Here's the best picture I could get to show their power around the tank:

img_1266495_2_ea499e07307c38b6e197b049a3ce7d89.jpg

With these 2 powerheads (1050gph) + my return pump (400gph with 4ft head) I have a total circulation of 2500gph. All I need now is a light and I think I'm ready for some corals!

hahaha, I didn't even notice that, I was way more focused on the PH and the nori, good catch!

Last edited:
Bad News:

My jawfish perished the other day. I checked my parameters and everything was perfect. The only thing that has changed was the 2 powerheads. Ever since I put them in, both the jawfish and royal gramma were in hiding. After I turned them off at night, both fish came out of their dens like normal.

Since it had been a few months before I got the powerheads, the waste built up and was swirling around; so I'm blaming that for the fish's death. When I saw how dirty it was I added the salt to my RO/DI water to prepare for a PWC the next day, that's when I found him.

*Lesson learned: make sure you have adequate water circulation early

With these 2 powerheads (1050gph) + my return pump (400gph with 4ft head) I have a total circulation of 2500gph. All I need now is a light and I think I'm ready for some corals!

Question you have a 55G i do as well but i have two 750s i didnt feel like it was enough water movement so i ordered two 1050s their coming today how did you place the power heads in your aquarium? did you do one on each side of the tank pointed at each other?

On both sides, about 1/2 to 3/4 up from the bottom and pointed at the front center glass of the tank is preferred when using 2 like that. The currents crash and send random flow throught the rest of the tank.

On both sides, about 1/2 to 3/4 up from the bottom and pointed at the front center glass of the tank is preferred when using 2 like that. The currents crash and send random flow throught the rest of the tank.

Thanks

wow this 1050s really do the job i didnt realize how much waterflow i was lacking with the 750s but they did blow alot of dead spots on the live rock now the water is kinda cloudy i guess it will clear up

Back
Top Bottom