Pat's 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so i now have a challenge on my hands. I ordered 4x Carberryi Anthias that should be here today. Challenging fish and a lot to add to a new tank. I wanted to add them first because they are so notoriously difficult/timid during acclimation to a new tank and i figured the lack of any tank mates picking on them would help. Had to add all 4 at once so they got along and i didn't end up with more then one male.

In preparation for their arrival i have made my self mesh tops to keep them from jumping and still allow good air exchange. Tested my water this morning.

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - >5
Ph - 8.2-8.3
Temp - 81-82

The tank is running a little hot which seems to be from all the power heads and pumps. I was surprised to find that the lights don't seem to effect the temp all that much. Might have to get a fan to put across the top in order to bring it down a bit eventually.

I also mixed up about 30-40 gallons of fresh saltwater so i can do water changes in case i see any spikes in the levels. Picked up a variety of food for them so i can vary the diet for each feeding. Wish me luck. I'll try and put up some pictures later tonight after they get here.

You are going all out with the first fish. They like to eat a few times a day and need hearty foods too. Awesome choice though!! I can't wait to see them in the tank!!!!!!

Well this is aggravating... I told them when i ordered to email me if they were not able to place the order for all 4 fish at once. I checked all day yesterday at work to make sure i didn't see a email saying the order was delayed. Didn't see anything so i took today off work to sign for the fish and acclimate them.

Well it is 4:00 and i still have not seen fish so i called and they said the order was delayed.... it was in my spam folder which is really odd considering the order confirmation came through fine. So now i have taken a day off work and waited around in excitement for my fish all day for nothing. :censor:

Well i am still fish-less and i doubt they will be able to fill the order. The keep the order open for 2 weeks. Unfortunatly, i don't want to put anything else in the tank right now on the off chance that they do fill the order and then i would be stocking the tank too quickly.

The tank is going through a nasty diatom bloom right now but i added a clean up crew and they are working their magic and loving the feast. Soon as the tank is cleaned up a bit and i get something interesting in there i will post some pictures.

Well as it turns out they were able to fill the order. It will be here tomorrow if all goes well. Also have a bit more of a clean up crew on the way. Looks like i am going to have a long day of acclimating tomorrow after work. I'll try and get some pictures once every one is settled and happy.

Yeah i will try to get some as soon as they are in the tank. I won't be able to QT these guys. I only have a 10 gallon QT so i think it would be to stressful to put 4 of them all in that tank. This should be about the only time i have to not QT.

Liveaquaria is usually pretty good about the shipping. I'm more worried about keeping them in tact. They are a difficult fish. I have done everything i can to prepair but i'm still a little worried they won't do well since so many people have trouble with them. I've got a whole variety of food for them. After they settle in i am going to try and get them eating dry food as well and get an auto feeder so i can get in the regular feedings with out it being such a pain.

Ok so the fist are settled in. They all look good and healthy. They are still a little shy but getting better quickly. They have all started eating as well. I have been mixing it up between mysid shrimp, squid, and some cylopeze so far. So here are a few pictures.

img_1162592_0_a6ca328ad59cd3e57f8d142a2bed3857.jpg

img_1162592_1_bdf294478246316e49bfc5a0bacd208e.jpg

AWESOME COLOR!!! Looking great!!

You may want to pick up some cyclops as well. They will probably like it and it has a good bit of nutrition which those fish need. I really hope they do well for you because they are awesome!

Very nice. I love the looks of the cranberii anthias. I had a Bartlets die from carpet surfing and I am looking to replace it with a group of anthias like that. I just need to chose wisely because I have 3-Lyretails already in there.
Looking real good, remember to feed them a few times a day for awhile. That cyclopeeze is good stuff.

I've been feeding them 2 - 3 times a day so far. Going to do a water test tonight or tomorrow to see how it is effecting my water quality. Probably going to take the tank a while to adjust to the new load from the fish and all the food.

I am now a true believer. The deep sand bed is apparently working wonders. I have been feeding 2-3 times a day since i got the anthias and water tests showed 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. Ok so maybe i'm not 100% a believer because i still run a decent amount of other filtration but i am pretty impressed so far. I'll keep feeding heavily and let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom