PBT Acclimation to main aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey Guy,

I have decided to try another Powder Blue Tang. I had really poor luck with my other one; he got ich outbreak after ich outbreak until I finally gave him away. My current PBT has be qt'd just over a month. He suffered one ich outbreak right off the bat that I cured with hyposalinity. The density in the qt tank is currently 1.019 and I am slowly raising it up to my reef aquarium's density, 1.025 to see if he gets ich again.

My question is this: Do you think I could use one of those CPR in tank refugiums to put the PBT in temporarily in case he gets an ich outbreak during his first week in the main aquarium? The PBT is about 4 inches long and the CPR units measure 7.5 inches long and 4 inches back to front.

Any in-tank refugium or acclimation/separation device would stress this animal far too much. If you are concerned with ich then why not keep it in quarantine for a longer period?

I believe that on hypo you need the sw to be 1.009 to be effective. I agree with James just keep him longer in the QT.

Melosu,

The water was at a density of 1.009, I am slowly raising it back to normal.

I agree I would just keep him in QT longer rather then stress him out in a small container like that. Better to take your time here. Powder Blues and Browns are ich magnets but taking it slow and keeping the fish calm should help!

Back
Top Bottom