PC to T-5 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beano1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a PC fixture. and like all PC lights, mine have lost there intensity and are causing lots of algae.

What i want to do is take out the PC bulbs (which ive already done) and put in some T-5. would this be possible, or even safe? The prongs on the bulbs look alike, but i want to be sure. I really like my fixture, and dont want to have to buy a new one.

I would say no . You could retro but I would not try to fit a round peg to a square hole so to speak . I am not an electrician but you could be setting yourself up for a a very serious situation , such as fire or shorting out and causing an electrocution situation . Not worth it in my opinion , it is cheeper and safer to either retro or by a diffrent unit made for T5s

I would just replace the CF bulbs with new CF bulbs...especially if you are happy with your fixture.

The easiest thing to do is just the replace the PC bulbs every 7 - 9 months. You could dump the PC fixture and buy a new T5 fixture (correct reflector, ballast, holders, etc.), or buy a MH/T5 combo fixture so you don't have to this again in a year. :)

I agree. You cannot put a T5 bulb into a PC fixture. If you like the PC's, just keep them and buy new bulbs, else you need to buy an entirely new fixture.

^ or you could double check with your vendor and see if all you need is a new set of endcaps to go w/ T-5 bulbs. There's a more than fair chance that your PC ballast would work w/ some combination of T-5 bulbs, but things won't go well unless you use the right bulbs & endcaps.

I definitely think you should not do it either. If the bulbs are causing the algea then just change to PC bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom