Ph is driving me caraaaazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Used Oceanic salt in spite of warnings I got from folks about low Ph. I can buffer it daily and get up to abnout 8.2, but it's back down to 7.9 or so the following day. The calcium is great though.

New tank setup - 'bout 2-3 months now. Fish are doing great it seems. 3 - 3 1/2" sand bed and maybe 200 lbs of rock in a 155g.

Prolly gonna switch to Instant Ocean salt over the next few months with 15- 20g water changes. In the meantime, any other suggestions? What about alkalinity? Does that have anything to do with helping the Ph situation? Gotta test that tonite.

hmmm, I tested mine last night and got 8.1 with my oceanic. Maybe I am to easy on my color chart but it normally turns darker than it did last night. I have been using Oceanic for over 2 years.

I hate hearing this about Oceanic. Makes me worry my next bucket might be worse...

Is your canopy tight fitting? I went from my lid to an over the tank Nova Extreme T5 lighting and my pH stay stable at 8.2 (if I am reading the chart correctly). If it is a lid, does it have the larger cut-outs? If so, cust those out and point your PHs to that area for more gas exchange....

The canopy is open in the back and has openings on the top. Got twin Tunze Powrheads with about 1500 gph running out of each.

One other thing I can think of is to check my Ph monitor. I'd better check it manually, but even before I got my 24/7 monitor, it was low.

How are the fish and corals doing? If the tank is stable and all is fine I would not add things to try and reach the magic number. Being stable IMO is more important.
I use Oceanic and I can not tell you what my pH is, never checked it after the first year of the tank being set up when I used IO. I guess I better get a test kit to see where it is.

I dunno, Ive been weary of my IO lately. Ive been testing it at 7.8.I dont know if I got abad bag or what but its getting me angry as well.

austinsdad said:
What about alkalinity? Does that have anything to do with helping the Ph situation? Gotta test that tonite.

yes Alk has a lot to do with it. You can have ph fluctuation if the alk is low. With normal/high alk your water will be more stable.
I use IO but I still need to add some buffer to raise my pH. I use Marine Buffer by Seachem- daily for about a week then just weekly.
I have heard many people who really like Oceanic salt, the pH is also influinced by the water you are mixing with. If you are using ro water I think most people use some kind of buffer also.
Just my opinion and what I've heard
hth
Mike

Yep. Using RO/DI water. Fish and coral doing fine. Inverts doing well too. Did add a capnella (leather) last week. It didn't do well at all. Added a bubble coral and a couple of 'shrooms yesterday. We'll see how thay do.

Back
Top Bottom