Pissed corals after water change. ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title says it. Just did a 5 % water change and my hammer and palys are very mad at me lol. Stringy stuff coming from their polyps and closing up. Im currently dosing mag to keep bryopsis at bay and added it to the new water, then added the water to the tank. Could it be the mag, or do corals just get cranky when things grt stirred up a bit?

Most likely it was shocked by a new water if parameter was not close to that of tank or some chemical you handled before a water change. I usually add mag straight from a bottle with a cap but nothing like that happens. Unless you added more than what is recommended.

All the corals were fine this am... guessing it was the mag. That was the only inconsistent variable.

String gel is the coral "gelling". Don't know if there is a technical term for it. Corals like hammers, palys, pagoda cup corals do this when there is excess oxygen bubbles in the water column. They create the gel as a method of getting rid of waste, contaminates, diseases, etc...

Probably created a lot of bubbles when you put water in your tank. It is beneficial and nothing to be concerned with. You would see it more often if you air injected your aquarium periodically.

Back
Top Bottom