POD's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I just recieved the macro algae for my refugium. :D :D Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I am sure that it will grow and do well in time. I was looking forward to have some hitchhiking PODs but don't seem to have gotten any. :(

The question...Does anyone know where to purchase some? I was really looking forward to an active little biosystem with plants and aminals.

Also...can you seed coraline algae? If so, where can you get it?

Thanks Howard

wow seems a little pricy considering you can get the stuff free in lr.

I agree that it is a bit expensive, but the LR i bought never had any. It had some bristle worms and a clam or two. Heck, one even had a trigger fish in it, but no pods.

The problem is that I live in North Central Minn, and there just isn't a lot of places carrying saltwater aquarium needs.

Howard

FWIW, I've never heard anyone complain about the detrivore kits from inlandaquatics, I have heard complaints about the detrivore packs from www.ipsf.com . I think Biggen got a detrivore kit from them, you might ask him if he thought it was worth it, also you cannot get the diversity from LR that you will get in a detrivore kit, some of the critters are specifically for sand, where in LR you'll only get LR critters ;)

fishtender said:

Also...can you seed coraline algae? If so, where can you get it?

Thanks Howard

If you have a small spot of coralline algae, just scrape it with your finger nail, and that will release some of the "spores" into the water to attach and spread.

ALso its good to note that the number of pods you see in the day does not reflect in any way the amount of pods in the tank. Most pods hide deep within the rock or under the upper layer of the substrate until the lights go off and then they come out to look for food.

Well, i don't think i have seen any life in my sand at all and the tank has been up and running for about 5 months now. I did see one little bugger scurry off when i removed a dead snail, but other than that and some white things on my glass, I haven't seen anything. What would be a good kit to get from inland aquatics for my 30 gal tank? I plan on having some easy corals in the future like shrooms and zoo's. I currently only have a couple of shrooms and plan on adding a little more LR maybe even some more LS. Any thoughts? I would love to get a mandrin but I guess my tank is too small (won't accommodate enough LR for food).

some white things on my glass

Unfortunately reefers have used the words pods to describe both amphipods and copepods. You likely saw an amphipod scurry away. The little white thingys on your glass are most likely copepods.

I was happy with the last 2 good orders from IPSF.com and my local reefers group is taking a field trip to Inland for the January meeting.

If you don't have a lot of coralline, you can buy a piece of LR with a lot of it. It will eventually spread. However, if your tank chemistry is stable you can also scrape coralline off of it in front of a powerhead to get the spores spread around the tank.

I would not add a mandarin to a 30 gallon. Mandarins are pod eating machines and almost all of them will not switch over to prepared foods.

I think Biggen got a detrivore kit from them

That is correct. I seeded my DSB with a detrivore from them about two months ago. I will admit when I got it I was like, "I paid $70 for this!!!". All the animals are so small that it was hard to justify the money. But then when I realized that the bags literally contain thousand upon thousand of infauna, stars, shrimp and worms it was money well spent.

Heck, if I had to do it again, I wold buy two. You really can't go wrong...

:mrgreen:

Yeah,
I agree Biggen. There are no negatives but a lot of positives down the road.

If something dies, the detrivores will clean it up instead of it just rotting and fouling the water. They also turn over the sand.

Back
Top Bottom