Powerhead Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veggiegirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just started setting up a 29 gal tank. I'm now ready to buy powerheads but i have no idea what kind or how many i need to order. Someone told me that i need to get two maxi jet 1200s and the Hydor FLO Rotating Water Deflectors to go on them. Is this what i need or can i get by with something less than this??

You can go less if you wish, esp for a 29. But go for what you can afford. MJ is a trusted name, especially around these forums. Just make SURE that whatever you do, get whatever kind of sponge or guard you can get so that none of your critters gets caught. Not a pretty sight. 8O

~~Rob

What other type of water movement are you going to have? Filters etc. Dont count your protien skimmer only things giving a good movement.

You want 10x turnover for a FO setup and as much as 20x or more for a reef setup.

To get the alternating currents you can use the deflectors or just aim the PH currents at each other which will give a random current.

maxi 1200's are 290 gph. I would probably use 2 900's ( or smaller if you have a sump ) . I have the hydor rotating things and they work good. My turbo snails like to ride on them and they seem to still work fine.

I use 2 maxi 400's in my 25 gallon qt and it has plenty of flow but I would use the larger ones if I had rock in there just to create more flow.

I'm pretty sure the Hydor FLO Rotating Water state that they do not work with MaxiJets. They may have come out with a newer model that does work, but best to check.

I have them on my maxijet 1200's and 400's They come with adapters to fit most powerheads. I would think they would fit most everything with the supplied adapters.

Back
Top Bottom