Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Pssst! Where is the good stuff? LR

Thinking about 60 lbs base and 60 LR, or more. Looking more at Marshal Island these days. I like the porousness (did I just make up a word? ). I'm really hoping for no more than 6 or 7 rocks to make up that amount too. 20 lb rocks. OK, at least 15 lbs. I don't want small pieces.

Anyway, pls share any recent experiences with me. What supplier is got it going on these days with LR.Com out?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
liveaquaria and marinedepotlive is good lr

Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any idea how much longer LR.com will be down? My understanding was that the keys rock should coming back in supply soon since it was "rearranged" by the hurricanes. The gulf rock was the one that was going to be out for a year or more due to red tide.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tampa Bay Saltwater is good. So are these guys: http://www.liverocksales.com/
I'm still loyal to LR.com though. But if they don't get going before I get the Big Project going, I'll go through liverocksales.com because I like their product as much as TBS and it's cheaper. I hope LR.com comes back on though... it'll be a while before I'm ready and I'd like to order a good 150lbs of rock to cycle the new Project Tank with before breaking down my 58 and adding it to the 135.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am still in love w/ the Fiji LR I bought from marinedepotlive.com close to 3 years later. Forget the good price, it's worth every penny even at a higher price IMO/IME. No nuisance shrimps, aiptasias, algaes, or crabs etc. Only desirable critters like Pods, mini stars, and beneficial polychaete worms along w/ plenty of coralline. Florida rock and Hawaiian base rock are very dense compared to Fiji LR. HTH
Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
I have never purchased from them but when I eventualyl upgrade my tank I know who I am goign to get my LR from.

TAMPA BAY SALTWATER
They have some of the best rock I have ever seen.

iveaquaria- Also has som sweet looking stuff.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have bought LR from Liveaquaria, floridaliverock and Liverocks.com. I liked it all but I like the Fiji rock the best. I know Premium Aquatics has Fiji and Marshall Island rock as well.

I would think TampaBay Saltwater rock is going to be coming from the same place as LR.com unless they were lucky. Their rock is coming from the same area.

I like the diversity I have with the different rocks though
Old 03-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks all.

BTW, anybody know why my question got beeped above?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

while looking for my original purchase of LR (which i bought from premium aquatics) I found these guys... anybody ever order from them?

http://www.intmarinefish.com
Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

For me it isn't the density of rock so much as the environmental impact. Fiji and Marshall Islands rock is ripped from a reef, often at great detriment to the reef. The Fiji reefs have been devastated for the pet trade, I can't imagine it's been any easier on Marshall or Tonga. With the aqcuacultured rock, it may be more dense, but I rest in a much easier conscience. To me it's small price to pay to have to dunk my rock to shake out mantis shrimp rather than to be contributing to the eventual destruction of the very reefs I'm trying to emulate in my home. Just my 02 cents.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com