Question about stonies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a 60 gal tank... standard 55 gal sizing and a 4x65w PC lighting setup... I was told before that I might be able to get some LPS corals.... can you guys recommend some things that might do well with my setup ????

Candy cane or a hammer would be my suggestion. Those were the 1st lps I tried with similar lighting. I am sure others would be ok but those are pretty popular in my area.

I love Candy Canes, open brain corals are always cool too... I think you could keep almost any LPS you want w/ that setup depending where it's placed in your tank. I suggest you see what LPS you like and check back to be absolutely sure. HTH

I like the candy canes, brain, open brain, button coral... quite a few really....

Since I'm just getting into the stonies... I'd like to get something that's fairly hardy and will do well with my lighting.... I don't really care for the hammer all that much..

I'm also looking for something that I don't necessarily target feed or add anything else to the tank.... something that will live off the light and the "extras" floating around in the tank.......

Do you guys think I could get away with montiopora ??? I know it's a SPS... but I like the encrusting idea....

Just FYI... I've got a porite clump with christmas tree worms in it and it seems to be doing well in my tank...

Also... will the porites spread to my LR ?????

c0mf0rt said:
Do you guys think I could get away with montiopora ??? I know it's a SPS... but I like the encrusting idea....
You should actually be able to sustain a few types of SPS. I don't think the encrusting varieties would be all that great though, they grow very very slowly. I have a yellow one and it grows about ½" a year. Digitata's and caprcornus should do well. I have several of each including a blue tip stag (Acropora formosa). Just be sure all are placed mid level or higher.

You can also try Pavona, Anacropora, Pocillopora, Porites, Stylophora and a few others. Just avoid true Acpropora's (I don't mean Family Acroporidae). Start with the Monti's and guage how well things go and then mabye move forward from there.

Also... will the porites spread to my LR ?????
If it's constant contact with a nearby rock void of other coral life yes but it can easily take a few months before it happens.

Cheers
Steve

Ok one last question then.....

How can you tell the health of these corals... I mean with softies they're either falling apart or deflating.... I noticed with the porites that depending on where I put them they will gain or loose their "actinic pigment".... Is that all I should look for??

Several things to look for. Overall color, be sure it is fairly uniform between each branch and their corallites. No white patches, black lines or blotchs. Thinkness of the branches based on species. A well maintained chem will mean a much thicker healthier coral while a chem outside NSW (higher) will be thin, reedy and have brittle branchs. It can also cause uneven thicknesses along the branchs. If buying frags on plugs, be sure they have some amount of growth covering the plug itself. That will ensure it is not a recent frag and still a little "iffy" on survival.

Also look for signs of parasitic activity in the coral holding tank itself. If the "general" health of the tank is lacking it's best to steer clear unless you can easily and confidantly dip the coral. A main one to look for with Acropora's is red bugs although not usually a concern with other SPS species and tiny little nudibrancs on monti caps. Usually found on the underside of the coral.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for all the help.... I will refer to this often.

One last question.

List three of the easiet to maintain LPS or SPS....

On the SPS, I would start as Lando suggests. There are many varieties and colors of montipora so don't think of it as limiting. They are probabley on of the most forgiving and truely the best starting point.

Other LPS are fox, open brain, bubble, donut/meat and blastomussa.

LPS species to avoid... Tubastraea and elegance. Plates are an option but I would wait until you feel comfortable with the others.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom