Questions for my maintank and QT.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
These questions are for my 75g main tank.

1. What size UV sterilizer will I need?

2. How many cleaner shrimp should I get and can get?

3. Can I use 2 protein skimmers?

4. I have 240w of cf's. How much light should I add to keep a variety of corals? What do you suggest? Can I add to what I already have, so I dont have to get rid of the cf's?

Questions for my QT.

Can I use a protein skimmer? Will it help with the trite, and ammonia levels?

Thanks. :wink:

1. What size UV sterilizer will I need?

None, They are not needed. IMO

2. How many cleaner shrimp should I get and can get?

A pair of skunk cleaners would be nice. If you get more get an even number. No need for a large amount.

3. Can I use 2 protein skimmers?

Sure, But remember your not only removing the bad DOC's but also the good DOC's. Trace elements can also be removed by skimming.

4. I have 240w of cf's. How much light should I add to keep a variety of corals? What do you suggest? Can I add to what I already have, so I dont have to get rid of the cf's?

What kind of bulbs are these? 96W? 65/55W? 36W? I tried to get an even number by dividing 240W by those bulb amounts and I kept getting unwhole numbers. It would be best to answer based upon the coral vs upon the light.

Questions for my QT.

Can I use a protein skimmer? Will it help with the trite, and ammonia levels?

Yes you can. No it wont really help. In theory it will help remove the DOCs before they can develop into ammonia and nitrite but a skimmer is not a cureall for not having ammonia and nitrite. For a QT tank its best to use a sponge filter or a cheap hang on unit that you can run in your main tank for a week or so before putting it on the QT.

Im sorry I should have added a few things in my thread.

I have 2 55w white lights, and 2 65w blue lights.

As far as the qt it is a 20g tank. I have 30/60 hob and a 5/15 hob filters. I am treating my fish in there right now with cupramine. I change and change, and still the levels are crappy. The last 2 days I did a 5g and a 10g change, and still high levels. I was wondering what I could do to help out more.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom