R/o results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just bought a 4 stage r/o setup and a Tds meter, what readings will be safe for use? Iv been told it should be below 20 ppm but Iv flushed the filters for 3 hours and I'm getting readings of 16 ppm but creeps up to 50 ppm after a few hours of use, maybe more flushing or

I'm fairly sure it should be reading 0ppm, but I may be wrong.

I'm trying to help a bit and bump it as well :)

What is the input water's reading? The most pure water is RO/DI, which will get your readings to 0ppm. If you have only RO without the DI (de-ionized) water, then under 20ppm is normal.

Where did you buy it from? Do they have a return policy? I ask only because if you eventually want SPS corals, RO/DI unit will be your best bet.

What part of your Ro/di system are you getting the readings from? I have my tds meter read after the filters but before the di and then the final output. It seems your numbers are high right off the bat. Where are you getting your water for the system from?

Steve

Input water is around 270 and it's from site called collinswaterproducts.co.uk 3 stage r/o and I also have a plumbed in electronic d/I on my mains suppl

Nick862 said:
Input water is around 270 and it's from site called collinswaterproducts.co.uk 3 stage r/o and I also have a plumbed in electronic d/I on my mains suppl

I flush it before use and the ppm drops to 16 then after an hour of use it's about 35-40, could it just be the r/o system is just not up for the job or have I done something wrong here, it's plumbed in as the instructions say, I'm going to email the company I bought it from but being a Sunday il have to wait for a reply,
Iv got 35l of this r/o water that sitting at about 45ppm, will that be ok to use as my takes due for a weekly pwc, I don't want to use it if I get algae blooms , Cheers

Even the 100GPD RO membranes are 90% efficient. So for 270 ppm input I would expect the output to be around 27ppm. If you have a 50, 75 or 150 gpd membrane with 98% or 99% efficiency you should be seeing 1 - 3 ppm output.

You need to waste about 6 gallons when changing a membrane. It appears to me that something is wrong with the membrane. Contact the company you got it from and get a new membrane. Or return it and get a new unit elsewhere. Add the DI cartridge to get 0 tds water.

I've never heard of an electronic DI, but that would give you 0 ppm input water!

They are sending a new membrane, it seems as if the carbon had been leaking some how, not sure what he said but it's a dodgy batch, cheers 4 all the advice

Hello again, sorry to bring this up again. I never got my system up and running because even after I was sent a new membrane I still could not get my ppm under 20,

I thought it might of been the membrane that the company had sent me that was the problem, even though they sent me 2 they were still not producing good enough ro water, maybe a bad batch they had and after they sent me 2 new pre filters and a new membrane Iv given up with them,

I went to my LFS yesterday and bought a new 50g membrane thats made by a different company thinking it would solve the problem but after installing it I'm still getting ro water at 66 ppm!!!

I really don't understand why I'm not getting better reading???? I flush the membrane for at least 1 - 2 hours and Iv replaced the pre filters and I'm on my 3rd membrane now and I still haven't had any good water,

my input water is 280ppm and I'm getting 66-70ppm out. My question is... Do I need another stage (ie. DI cartridge ) this would make it a 4 stage system, or is my input water supply to hi?

I'm kinda giving up as I don't really want to spend any more on this until I know what the problem is,

Thanks

Nick

Back
Top Bottom