Raising salinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shattrd3

Aquarium Advice Regular
So both my 5 gallon nano and 35 gallon tanks are lying low in salinity (1.022)
Do I just do a water change and add more salt to the ro/di water?

How to top up your tank

Just top up with your normal saltwater until you get the SG where you want it. I've got RO/DI water in one container and I keep my Saltwater separate in different containers. When my SG is low I top up with Saltwater. When the SG is correct but the level is low I top up with RO/DI water.
(y)

So you have a fresh RO/DI water in one container and Salt RO/DI in another? Do I just use the 1/2 cup of salt for every gallon or do i add more? I only have one 5 gallon jug, so I do 2 1/2 cups of salt

Follow the instrctions on your container to make your SW. Then test it and make sure it's how you want it, Salinity Level. Once your water, is leveled off top up your tank. It's really not complex and you don't need to do anything extra or add anything extra. Just make a container of SW and then top up your tank.

Ok but if you want to raise the salinity of an aquarium that already is cycled, of course with no fishes or corals just two little snails on it!! I can raise it like that?

That is the correct way to raise your salinity not matter your inhabitants. If your SG is low that's how you raise it.

NEVER put salt in your tank or mix your water in your tank.

But if i want to raise the salinity from 1.023 to 1.025 i could do it little by little or just i need the water to make the change?

You can make that change all at once. Max recommended salinity change in .003 per day. your fine

And by make the change, I mean make a water change with higher salinity water.

Last edited:
Nice!! I was a little worried about that change of salinity. Thank you buddy!!?

If you are doing a 5 gallon bucket per water change. 2 cups (of tropic marin) salt will make a salinity of 1.024. If you want to up it to 1.025 (from 1.022). Make the new one around 1.026-027).

I always have my ro/di water in a 5 gallon pocket. I do it most of the time in the nights, i prepare the water and I like to add a water pump and a heather to match the temperature of my other aquarium. And I keep the water on cleans milk gallons. And i have two aquarium one of them is 1.025 salinity and the other is 1.023 and the tank that is 1.023 i will like to change it to the same salinity , because i don't like to do two different densities of saltwater!! And i prefer to do the same water for both aquariums.

So when your salinity is the same for both tanks and let's say you wanted to move fish from one tank to the other can you just do that immediately or is acclimation still a must? Just a curious question

So when your salinity is the same for both tanks and let's say you wanted to move fish from one tank to the other can you just do that immediately or is acclimation still a must? Just a curious question

Well i have to acclimate the fish or corals again because in my both aquariums there is a couple degrees temperature different and that's why i need to acclimate both fish and corals!!

Back
Top Bottom